POINTER SISTERS / “Pointer Sisters Mixtape”

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 at 7:58 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “POINTER SISTERS / “Pointer Sisters Mixtape””

Gregory Ford Says:
January 4th, 2011 at 8:30 am

Love this post. This post focused on the sister’s recordings themselves. But I think their back-up singing might deserve a post of its own. I was intrigued and inspired the stuff they did with Taj Mahal. (Frankie and Johnny, for example) I was excited by the stuff they did with Sylvester. (I may be getting things confused here. Did they also do back-up – with Sylvester – for Betty Davis?)

Sue Ross Says:
January 4th, 2011 at 8:35 am

The Duke Ellington medley on the Pointer Sisters’ Steppin album is one of my favorites. I just recently discovered that they used virtually the same arrangement that Aretha, Sarah Vaughan, Roberta Flack and Peggy Lee did on a 1973 Ellington special – which is on Youtube.

Jude Thomas Vedel Nerestant Says:
January 5th, 2011 at 3:20 am

Black music at its finest 🙂 and great backing bands special kudos to the rhythm sections 🙂

EL Mare Says:
January 9th, 2011 at 4:30 am

Hi Thank you!
I never knew that they were soooo good.

tayari Says:
January 10th, 2011 at 7:41 am

The Pointer Sisters made Allen Toussaint’s “Yes We Can Can” an anthem, a song with passion and emotion. This group is THE powerhouse all “girl” group that pulls atcha heart, mind, and soul. Thanks again, Kalamu, for bring it.

Tommy Says:
May 31st, 2015 at 8:41 am

Nice insights. I got hooked by The Pointer Sisters after listening to their debut “eponymous” album in 1973 … played that vinyl so much … it should of wore out but never did, my parents put up with it cause I guess they liked it too! Many years later my love of these ladies was rekindled and I was hooked all over. I made a fan page: http://www.pointersistersfanpage.com
and I will put a link to your fine article on it.

Tommy Says:
June 11th, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Good stuff respecting early Pointer Sisters up to but not including the Richard Perry produced trio. Is that a nock on their highly successful years making dance/pop music. Keep in mind Perry did producing for a lot of great black singers, including Ray Charles, Ella, Diana, Martha Reeves, Fats Domino, etc. The P.S. “Right Rhythm” album was produced and released by Motown 1990. And they later did an album and tour for “Ain’t Misbehavin!” So I don’t believe the Pointer Sisters actually ever did cut from black music. I’m a big-time lover of the Pointer Sisters but I don’t trak much on their early work as back-up singers. For me they were (the) pre-emminent rock, r&b, jazz, disco, pop, country “sister” group.