ESTHER PHILLIPS / “Esther Phillips Mixtape”

This entry was posted on Monday, August 3rd, 2009 at 5:45 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 Responses to “ESTHER PHILLIPS / “Esther Phillips Mixtape””

Frank McNulty Says:
August 3rd, 2009 at 7:36 am

Thank you again, one of my favorite singers of all time.

Peace,

Frank.

lindamae2410 Says:
August 3rd, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Thank you for keeping ESTHER PHILLIPS alive in
memory! Do you realize 25 years ago she passed
on August 7!

ESTHER PHILLIPS,
I LOVE YOU! I MISS YOU!

(Her words/my words)

lindamae2410 Says:
August 6th, 2009 at 1:36 am

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I am listening to your wonderful ESTHER PHILLIPS
MIXTAPE! This is the most fantastic, incredible
tribute there could ever be to ESTHER PHILIPS!

This is a private memorial service to her!
I CAN FEEL THE LOVE!

I am so thrilled to hear all her wonderful music, but
I am saddened that she is not right here also
listening right along with us!

ESTHER PHILLIPS,
I LOVE YOU! I MISS YOU!

(Her words/my words)

taro nombei Says:
August 6th, 2009 at 11:05 am

There’s plenty of music you post that I know well. I still love listening anyway — there’s always some gems to discover.
But Esther is all new to me, I don’t know how I’ve never managed to come across her. Brilliant voice, steamy delivery, fantastic.
Thanks as always, Kalamu.

hurtinski Says:
August 7th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Right, she died a quarter-century ago exactly, in L.A. This morning my copy of the (complete) “Confessin’ the Blues” CD arrived in the mailbox. (Collectibles has a twofer of “Confessin'” and “Burnin'” but leave one track each release. And, misspell the name of “Confessin’ ” in the booklet as “Confession.”

So it goes; Esther Phillips is half-forgotten. But to folks who care about popular singing and how difficult it is for even the best singers to adapt to changing tastes, Phillips is a remarkable subject. I think she was one of the handful of truly great soul singers, in there with Aretha, Dusty Springfield, Al Green, like that. She swung mightily, and I use this jazzbo language, daddy-o, to emphasize how rare this quality is. Didn’t use to be. Esther came up thru R&B, jazz and soul, in the era where black American music really began mutating.

Anyway, she’s major. Big catalogue I’m just now really investigating. I have all the Kudu releases, and guess I’d recommend “From a Whisper to a Scream” and “Black-Eyed Blues” from that run of albums. But I like the disco stuff, some with Joe Beck: “For All We Know” and “Capricorn Princess” and “What a Diff’rence a Day Makes,” These records are an attempt to modernize–the disco era was coming. I like disco music and Esther sounds perfect for it.

Also checking out the aforementioned Atlantic shit, plus everyone should hear “Cheater Man,” a Dan Penn tune, on “Soul Sisters: Atlantic Unearthed” compilation of a few years back. Esther tears it up, and it was apparently done in Memphis with the American Studios rhythm section, in soul’s anna mirabilis, 1967.