MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL / “Your Precious Love”

This entry was posted on Monday, March 16th, 2009 at 12:43 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL / “Your Precious Love””

Randy Brown Says:
March 16th, 2009 at 4:01 am

Kalamu ya Salaam… all I can say is WOW! and THANK YOU! I haven’t even completed your entire treatise yet, but the portion on Marvin & Tammi blew me away. You beautifully express so many of my own feelings and observations through the years!

I happened to find your masterpiece because I was searching for observations of today being the anniversary of Tammi Terrell’s death. I am a HUGE fan of Marvin Gaye’s artistry and an even greater fan of Tammi’s if that’s possible. I HAD to share this site with readers on the popular Soul Music forum SoulfulDetroit.com where I post under the moniker PositiveSoul. I hope you’ll check it out. More importantly, I hope others from the Forum will come on board to experience your deep soulful reflections, especially upon a profoundly talented songbird, not always given her due! THANK YOU! Please reach out to me vua email.

Frank McNulty Says:
March 16th, 2009 at 5:39 am

Thank you for producing this always interesting and moving series. It is so great to find ‘Breath of Life’ in my e-mail in box, makes my day.The mixtapes are a great idea. Keep up the great work.Thank you again.

R. Joyce Johnson Says:
March 18th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

breath of life is truly a saving grace. I still can’t trace how I found it. I think I was reading The Root and found a link. Whatever it was meant to be.

Thank you is not enough. The message is in the song of Tammi & Marvin, heaven surely sent you.

Nilima Says:
March 22nd, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Kalamu – the Brother with the power to express emotions, insight, perspective and feeling movingly through words. Wow!!! And then when you hooked the deep felt love of Tammi & Marvin with Michelle & Barack, Man! You hit it so on the head. You recognized and uplifted a universal love demonstrated in (but not exclusive to) these two African American couples.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Nilima

Carmen Says:
June 29th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Kalamu,
I can’t listen to Marvin’s “Distant Lover” without my eyes tearing up. The heartbreak is tangible, too much…yet the song is probably one of the most beautiful recordings I have ever heard.
Thanks for the article.
Carmen

Ray Says:
July 5th, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Thank you so much for this. I was just thinking about Tammy and decided to do some research and learn about her. I was born a few years after she died, but have come to love and admire her work. This was a great read and I’ve learned alot! Thank you!

FATIA Says:
January 10th, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks so much this is just perfect! I’m a soul/reggae singer living in Paris by the way.
Tammy Terrell was just perfect her eyes, her smile everything was so natural she was singing with all her heart and feeling. She is an example for us. And by us , I mean for black women by the way her and all the great black divas (Gloria Gaynor, Diana Ross..) are an example for us they stayed strong and shown a positive vision although the context they were living in was so hard…Thanks again for this article it’s fabulous everything has been related the context….

g Says:
September 20th, 2010 at 3:43 am

Kalamu ya Salaam, I forgot to put the id information. So thisis redone. Thank you for your truth about Tammy. My sister told me yrs ago about Motown and BG and him being the ‘devil’. I hope someday, someone is able to tell the truths about Motown and BG for all to really know. There are many who need the release to go on and others to know to not repeat, like Shug Knight. I believed once I knew the 1/2 truth that Tammy’s death was the beginning to the end of Marvin also. To know what happened and not be able to do anything, has to be the hurt he possessed. Why we had to go through slavery and still did not get it and turn on our own is just showing money is not everything. And specially if you are possessed by something else it surely won’t give you peace and glory in the end. Gods strength and love and thank you for the truth and no more fallacies.

Chako Kanyon Says:
January 23rd, 2011 at 5:46 pm

May God continue to bless them

such beauty