PHAROAH SANDERS / “The Healing Song”

This entry was posted on Monday, December 29th, 2008 at 1:51 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “PHAROAH SANDERS / “The Healing Song””

Matt Says:
December 29th, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Great piece. Imagining the atmosphere you describe I am at once (still) inspired and envious. No wonder that the music created during that time period and environment is some of my favorite and most powerful music ever created. And your description of the music going so far out yet staying so deep in the pocket is just right and an apt description of what I find so magical about Pharoah’s music. It can sound like pure chaos and yet somehow you can still stomp your foot to it. Thanks.

taro nombei Says:
December 30th, 2008 at 7:30 am

amen. That’s wicked music, and you put it right into context.
Many thanks Kalamu

rich Says:
December 31st, 2008 at 1:19 am

lucky enough to catch Pharoah live a few years back and the magic was still in the air – I found the music deeply groovy, in the rhythmic sense, but still just jaw-dropping in terms of territory and ideas being explored. as always, kalamu, the evocative description however still makes me wish for some time travel

Marian Says:
January 3rd, 2009 at 3:00 pm

It is usually piano music that transports me, but that loopy string sound in the background (is that the bass?) hits just the right note. It is healing and invigorating.

not one, but two basses

it’s not a loop. it’s a human being playing bass. in fact, one bass is holding down the bottom (the loop), pretty sure it’s cecil mcbee, he was a monster at things like that. the other bassist is stanley clarke in his early jazz days when he was playing mucho, mucho acoustic bass. Pharoah got the idea of using two bass players from John Coltrane.

Beebe Says:
October 2nd, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I’ve loved this music for 35 years. I lost the vinyl, had a cassette I dubbed onto a CD and then to iPod. Have listened countless times. What a beautiful statement you have posted here. Thank you deeply.

June 17th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Brother Kalamu, did you catch Pharoah at Boy’s & Girls High last year. Brought back memories of the East. What I find interesting is that Pharoah plays at Birdland each year, and the shows are short but good, but not the same. I wish he would perform in our hoods more often. Our young people need it more than ever.