NINA SIMONE / “The Other Woman”

This entry was posted on Monday, May 5th, 2008 at 12:10 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “NINA SIMONE / “The Other Woman””

Tuta Says:
May 5th, 2008 at 10:24 am

How y’all not gon’ add “I’ll Be the Other Woman” by Soul Children on here?? That is blasphemy. I DEMAND a redo!!

Big E Says:
May 5th, 2008 at 12:56 pm

What about the “other” woman striking back: i.e. Barbara Mason’s “From His Woman to You”, the answer song to Shirley Brown’s “Woman to Woman.”

Sam's Neph Says:
May 5th, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I know the common thought is that Sam Cooke “met hit maker over some ‘other woman’ drama,” but I wrote my book because my family has known for years there was more to the story, and that “more” needed to be told. Truth is, Sam Cooke did NOT voluntarily take Lisa Boyer to the Hacienda Motel the early morning of December 11, 1964.

In fact, Sam Cooke fought to the death to keep his music career and business entities out of the hands of underworld figures. Had you known this, you would’ve not only looked at the man in a different light, you wouldn’t have made such an irresponsible statement.

I know you said what you said because you never knew the whole truth, so while I’m irked, I don’t blame you for not knowing what you don’t know. But now that you know there’s more, do the responsible thing and seek the truth.

With Love, Truth, Peace, Knowledge and Understanding,

Erik Greene
Author, “Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family’s Perspective”

Jericho Brown Says:
May 5th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I can never get over how Gladys Knight sounds the same now as she did in the 60s and 70s. It’s almost unfair. I guess she was smart about picking her vices.

I should add, Kalamu, that I always think she really doesn’t want to. She keeps saying, “No” (lol)!

At any rate, part of what your comment implies about her is that she sounds “sexy,” something I don’t know if we have ever admitted to ourselves about Knight in all her performances. I don’t think I realized that could be the word for it until I heard her version (with the Pips) of “That’s the Time I Feel Like Making Love,” which, I recommend to any couple trying to get pregnant. After that, I saw just how much those grunts and other surprising inflections in her songs sound like a woman being tickled or poked. (I swear to God I don’t mean that as a pun.)

Jericho Brown Says:
May 5th, 2008 at 3:23 pm

And that Shirley Brown song…when we were kids and they’d play that on Sunday’s Blues You Can Use radio show in Shreveport, we just couldn’t understand why the hell the woman was paying for every damn thing. I think it’s an example of not being able to hear the voice because of the words, but we always wanted some justification for why or how telling the other woman what the wife had paid for was going to help the situation. I always thought that maybe Brown(‘s character) thinks that telling her what she pays for–the man’s clothes, his car, blah-blah–would show the other woman that he was in no position to help her skanky butt out financially. I just never know that the other woman should care about that–obviously Brown doesn’t.

DJ Says:
May 5th, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Hey my best friend turned me on to this site today and I love it! These are some of my favorite artists and songs. Beautiful. Thank you so much. We are deep and deeper, dark and light as air, strong as the sun and vulnerable as the waning moon, and lovely, ever lovely…

The Magnificent Goldberg Says:
May 9th, 2008 at 9:35 am

I always loved Ann Peebles. I was reading the African page when it came on. Who the hell is that!!!

Wow! Like Gloria Lynne, Ann has only got better and better over the years. Some people can do this. Another one for the list.

mG

GLow Forever Says:
May 9th, 2008 at 4:00 pm

How ironic is it that you post this theme of the other woman when a big news item for the week was Barbara Walters coming forward about being the other woman. Great mosiac of music.

The Custodian Says:
October 26th, 2008 at 10:27 am

’nuff said! It would be very difficult to add to all the many comment given! So thanks you for keeping us inform and hopefully grounded!