TEENA MARIE / “Casanova Brown”

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 27th, 2008 at 11:57 pm and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “TEENA MARIE / “Casanova Brown””

Marian Says:
April 29th, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Teena Marie! You gotta to be kidding!

Lady S. Says:
May 13th, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Teena I love your song “Casanova Brown”. I am sure there are millions of girls that has been able to relate to the lyrics.

FelStarr Says:
May 26th, 2008 at 2:25 am

Finally, someone who GETS IT. I have long been a Teena Marie fan, and I can tell you it is her inflections and nuances that make her songs great, the lyrics at times mere accompaniment. When she hurts, you can feel it in her voice. And when she feels sexy, you can feel that too. People who love Teena Marie GET THAT. Thank you!

cordieb Says:
June 3rd, 2008 at 11:33 am

Teena Marie has one of the the most beautiful – if not the most beautiful female voices I have yet to hear. She sings I’ve been here with so much compassion – I think she has really been here before. She oozes with inspiratin in Got to Keep my Irons in the Fire. I don’t think she was promoted that well – otherwise, she would have made it to the top of the charts. I don’t think she really cared about making it to the top – she’s too down to earth for that stuff. She’s got real class!

Peace, Light and Love,
Cordieb.

aparran Says:
August 14th, 2008 at 12:28 am

Teena Marie is one of my absolute favorite artists of all time! I remember being really young, and I mean young as in 4 or 5, when I first fell in love with her voice and music. My father was/is a musician and her music would resonate throughout our home. As I got older and started to understand her lyrics, there was no turning back for me. I purchased each and every one of her albums. I didn’t want to miss a song! Especially if I thought that it documented an episode in her tumultuous relationship with Rick James… I only wish that the R&B songs of today had the intense lyrical content and arrangements that her songs had? Just thinking about her songs has made me end this email and head for my IPod!

Good Day!

AP

moet Says:
December 28th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

God bless your family, and God bless your fans, you will be missed by me moet, a singer and your Greatest fans I wish i could’ve met such a woman as your self

moet Says:
December 28th, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I go way back with Tina you brought me through some hard times you and rick all the blessing are do to both family you are one of the greatest,i shall truly miss you I write songs I wish we could’ve met and you would’ve made it a hit as yours I’ll see you in Heaven

Mofya Says:
March 13th, 2015 at 2:33 pm

The prequel to Casnova Brown is “Tune in Tomorrow” from the previous album Irons in the Fire.

The language is similar – about the theatrical nature of their relationhip as well as performance.

Dbindc Says:
May 30th, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Damn, now I’m really getting what they used to tell me when I performed stand $ up comedy. “Water it down some# for white folks and you could cross over, but I am and always have been a white chick down with black folk and don’t give a damn about crossing over. Thanks for helping me “see the light.”

Remembering Teena Marie: #4 – Cassanova Brown – Darian Johnson's Favorite Things Says:
January 14th, 2016 at 10:56 pm

[…] Remembering Teena Marie: #4 – Cassanova Brown Posted on December 31, 2010 by Darian — 2 Comments ↓ There’s nothing that I can write about “Cassanova Brown” that matches Mtume ya Salaam’s essay on the Teena Marie ballad. From his 2008 post from the always insightful Breath of Life: A Conversation About Black Music: […]