TEENA MARIE / “If I Were A Bell”

This entry was posted on Monday, April 21st, 2008 at 1:08 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

19 Responses to “TEENA MARIE / “If I Were A Bell””

Q Says:
April 22nd, 2008 at 2:33 pm

First to Kalamu’s Otis Redding remark, Otis isn’t a one hit wonder. How about “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long”, “Tramp”, “Mr Pitiful”, “Try a Little Tenderness” and “Hard to Handle”. Granted they didn’t chart, but then again most GOOD music never does. Not only was “Sitting On the Dock of the Bay” posthumusly released, it was recorded three days before his death.

Now about Ms. “T”…Mtume, why you gotta keep us waiting another week. Is this a publicity stunt, LOL! These tracks are good. But, I expect to see “Portugeuse Love” next week. And if you venture outside of the Ballads, “Square Biz” is a good one also.

Stephanie Renee Says:
April 25th, 2008 at 8:16 am

As Miss Teena is one of my all-time faves as well, I will now cast my vote for “You Make Love Like Springtime” in next week’s lineup. You can’t talk about Teena the soul diva without giving significant love to her jazzier roots as well. And it is fitting to note that Smokey not only wrote songs for her, but clearly had a PROFOUND influence on her vocally as well.

Thank you for shining light on one of music’s brilliant jewels.

Dallas Trenton Says:
June 11th, 2008 at 3:17 pm

What happened to "Portuguese Love"??????

Mtume says

It was #2. The post you read was  #6 – 12.

Derrick Perkins Says:
July 17th, 2008 at 9:50 am

This is a lady that i love and she has it all My song that i love the most is Out On A Limb that is the best in my book and so is Miss Marie thank u

smoothyc Says:
August 20th, 2008 at 5:02 pm

teena marie greatest song from a list of great songs is very hard, but a song that stands out is pretty man on passion play , its sexy , passionate , and mesmorising and beautifully performed by our ivory queen of soul .
please check out the ivory queen of soul website
much love smoothyc e

MotleySTL Says:
October 22nd, 2008 at 8:15 am

Tina,you been breakin my heart since I was 25 yeras old with Square Biz. I love you. Beautiful too.

AJ Says:
January 24th, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Lady Tee’s reading on DE JA VU (I’ve Been Here Before) is sheer brilliance…………

SRR Says:
November 10th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I thought we were all colorblind now? Why all the discussion of the woman’s ancestry? I guess community pride will always be divided along color lines.

Anonymous Says:
December 26th, 2010 at 10:19 pm

somebody just like you is by far my favorite Teena Marie song. It’s old school and new school Teena all in one song!

gayle Says:
December 26th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Excuse me?!!! Did this article imply that African American women are fat and out of shape?!!! I happen to be a professional Black woman who jogs, rollerblades, ices skates, works out at the gym and I am a knock out in a bikini. I just tried to copy and paste my photo to prove it.
How dare you classify a whole entire race of people into one box. I am going to report this article on grounds of sexism and racisim.

Jimmy Says:
December 27th, 2010 at 2:36 am

TEENA MARIE is my favorite Black female singer.

Maddog Says:
December 27th, 2010 at 8:23 am

R.I.P. Teena…I fell in love with you the first time I heard your voice.

anthony Says:
December 27th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

WOW CANT BELEAVE YOUR ARE GONE,I GREW UP LISTEN TO YEENA a military brat,you are going to be missed love you teena

AdrienneS Says:
December 27th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Lady T you will be missed, your come back was done with class. Your smooth sexy voice was best showcased in your awesome ballads. Peace and Blessings

tlm Says:
December 27th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

“Lady T”, you will be truly missed. Your vocals will never be duplicated. I have followed you from the beginning and you never failed to always have me in AW!!!! Rest in Peace my dear LADY.

Another one of your #1 fans
Love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robin Adams Says:
December 27th, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Teena, I’ve loved your music, ever since I was a little girl. Your music, has inspired and been one of the most important things to me, throughout my entire life. You came along and hipped everyone to ‘The T’. Rest In Peace, Lady T. We love you.

Robin Adams Says:
December 27th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

NoDoz Says:
December 28th, 2010 at 10:38 am

RIP Teena,
Im a living testament that your music has helped intergrate black and whites socially in this country. Im bi-racial and both my parents LOVED you. You were inspirational to them and me a like, you are one who will live on FOREVER in many aspects of American society (race relations, music industry conduct and HipHop).
I “HEART” TINA

Vee Weaver Says:
December 28th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

The voice of , my sister of soul.”Fire and Desire” may have gone , but in my heart , you’d live on , RIP Teena Marie