WILL.I.AM / “Yes We Can”

This entry was posted on Monday, February 18th, 2008 at 1:14 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “WILL.I.AM / “Yes We Can””

sue ross Says:
February 18th, 2008 at 8:02 am

there is also a spanish language Obama song called “Obama Reggaeton” or “Como Se Dice…Como Se Llama (OBAMA, OBAMA)”, available at the Amigos des Obama website:

Gwendolyn Hawk Says:
February 18th, 2008 at 10:08 am

I stumbled across your website sometime ago, and since that time, have made it my business to click onto the site every Monday. Please, Please, Please– let the campaigning go. At this point, I don’t know who I’ll vote for or who I will decide to write in. I’m studying the issues and the candidates’ stands on them. To do this, believe it or not, I’ve taken a break from the media pundits and from the rallying of campaigners. Please give me what I tune in to your website for, and back off the cheering for your candidates. Thanks for the opportunity to reply.

Mtume says:

Gwendolyn, I know where you’re coming from. I thought about that myself. But two things. First, we’re not just a music blog. From the beginning, we’ve talked about social and political issues of the day and of the past. In my opinion, it’s impossible to fully discuss black music (or really, any music) without discussing the context (which includes the socio-political context) in which the music was created. Second, you have to give Kalamu a break. The old man is sixty years old and he’s excited like a teenager going to his senior prom. He even donated $50 online to the Obama campaign. That might not be earth-shattering news to you, but we’re talking about a man who hadn’t voted in decades probably and who hadn’t even paid his income taxes for years until he got married and felt obligated (I’m assuming) to his wife to not drag her down with him. When it comes to politics, my Baba can be off-the-charts cynical. This candidate and this campaign have actually caused him to give a shit. Even if Obama loses, I’m thrilled to death for that alone.

So look, if his cheerleading and my agreeing with him aggravate you too much for you to listen to the tunes, I apologize. But honestly, it’s probably not going to completely stop until the run is over. Baba’s just too excited.

kalamu sez:

when i did my kitchen sink radio program from time to time i would get a caller who strongly objected to something i was playing. my response, often on-air, was: turn to another channel or turn your radio off. if you are upset by something i’m doing, turn it off. we don’t want any bad vibes going around. i won’t be offended. in fact, i would feel better if you just let it go.

it only takes a minute to see if you want to read something we’ve written and the site does not force you to listen to any of the music you don’t want to hear. really it is your choice. if you don’t like something, just turn it off.

in terms of not digging something we do: what you see/hear is what you get. we do what we do. if you don’t like it or find it offensive, i understand. cool. go to another site or stop visiting our site. i’m not angry nor upset. it’s cool. to quote the isleys, "do your thing." we are most certainly going to do our thing, which includes stating our political preferences.

think about it this way. if i asked you to stop doing something you believed in, would you cease and desist simply because i didn’t like your behavior? i hope not. stick with your beliefs. be willing to defend them. if challenged, listen to the challenge, weight the issues raised, make a decision and move on.

i hope you stick with us but if what we do is not for you, i understand.

btw, mtume, my excitement is your excitement. i am anti-capitalist. in one of his speeches barack obama proudly proclaims himself a capitalist. i disagree with him on that. i don’t believe he personally will usher in change but i do see the change he is inspiring in a multitude of people and, like you, i respond to that.

mtume, i don’t remember going to my senior prom.

i’ll end with my haiku written in response to the question about my religion. i’m a born again pagan—i don’t believe in any organized religion.

black people believe
in god and i believe in
black people—amen

rich Says:
February 19th, 2008 at 2:21 am

you know, Obama does indeed inspire a little bit of hope – even for me as someone who is not American and who lives on the other side of the planet. the truth is that part of the reason why the rest of the world takes an interest in US politics is the stark reality that the leadership of the country has a massive impact on the planet the rest of us have to live in. for a lot of people, when they want to express something important or express something intrinsic to their identity, they turn to music. dance for change, sing for change, scream for change, whatever it takes, just bring on the change!

Stephanie Renee Says:
February 19th, 2008 at 9:10 am

Mtume, I agree with you on the Obama point wholeheartedly. I tried to stay neutral about the Dem nominee (as a registered Independent since age 18), but when my casual conversations with random multicultural strangers would evoke such passionate responses about Sir Obama, I knew that it was time to make a choice. And the fact that he’s leading in white male voters, practically swept the Southern states, and has such an incredible sister a wife is really sealing the deal. And…dare I say it…several of my friends and I also contend that the man is flat-out sexy. Wouldn’t hurt to have some genuine wisdom, charisma and eye candy in the White House, now would it?

For those who don’t like this type of discussion here, I’m sorry. Music should be an artistic window into life, and if politics don’t affect your life, you’re not breathing.

Qawi Says:
February 19th, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Okay…so somewhere in this political Africentric Music website and Blog, we hit Obama mania. My issue is not Obama or even whether you are an ultra-liberal or dyed-in-the-wool Abraham Lincoln Republican. My issue is the song itself.

It is nice that he set an Obama speech to music and got cameos from John Legend, Common, and others in the video. Still, while the speech was inspiring, the speech-lyrics and music tries too hard to be Paul Simon or Bob Dylan, which it ain’t. 🙂 Those used to Black Eyed Peas and Will.i.am probably would have picked “Let’s Get is Started” for the Obama campaign, but I digress. Granted, Will.i.am (Adams) couldn’t get away with setting the speech to his last hit ‘My Humps’ or ‘Shake Your Monkey’, I’ll give him credit for developing somewhat of a political conscience. We’ll see how that plays out in the next Will.i.am or Black Eyed Peas album. 🙂 I also searched ASCAP to see if I could find who gets the writing/producing/publishing credits but it is not in their database yet. I ask that because some will surely exploit any residuals that Obama may receive…especially in the alleged plagiarism that Obama has been accused of.

To the caller/listener/blogger who wants us to keep to the music and less politics. I understand your concern, but please be reminded that most BLACK music at its core whether Spirituals, Gospel, 60-70’s Soul, Reggae, Jazz, R&B, Hip-Hop, etc. is filled with political references and those things that get people to mobilize. Even songs that are ingrained into Pop-culture like “Happy Birthday” by Stevie Wonder. It doesn’t seem like it now, but back in the early 80’s it was a mobilizing protest song too.

jaajoe Says:
March 2nd, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Michelle Obamma received a bugus raise of $195,052 annually after Barack Obama was elected senator. Check out this article on Michelle Obama

WILL R COLLINS Says:
December 20th, 2011 at 11:06 pm

RICH WICKED POCKET, MONEY FOR THEM SELVES: The Government systems of the world cannot let a People person who will make things right, in the world, like IN HATTITE GOVERNEMT. 7TH ANGEL VOICE