BLUE SCHOLARS / “Loyalty”

This entry was posted on Monday, February 4th, 2008 at 1:27 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “BLUE SCHOLARS / “Loyalty””

Malik Says:
February 4th, 2008 at 11:20 am

Even if you can’t get down with Geologic, don’t sleep on Sabzi. He’s also the second half of another duo, Common Market. The emcee in that collab is Ra Scion, and if you’re looking for “lyrical dexterity” I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. But I think Ra’s best work was his previous album, “Live & Learn”. I think Sabzi may have laid down beats for one on two tracks on that album. I wish he would’ve provided beats for the entire album, because the only beef I have with the production is that the beats aren’t hard enough for Ra’s flow.

hamadi Says:
February 4th, 2008 at 11:48 am

try out PUTS, people under the stairs.
or clipse. or blu and exile. find the old paul wall and chamillioaire record “get your mind correct”
the blue scholars are stiff
many people want positive rap and bump it at the expense of bump-factor. devin the dude and the pack. mike ladd is that dude half the time too.

yall up on steve reid’s new ish?

Qawi Says:
February 4th, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Mtume, I feel ya but there is more merit than boredom in this bunch. They don’t make an all out assault to raise one’s consciousness with mechanized beats, they simply drop logical lyrics over B-grade grooves. What is probably boring you is the dated sound of the music and the less than over the top braggadocio and inflexion. Still, some of the tracks have lyrical wit:

“…let your arms be the pillars that are holding up the sky”, or the hook “I heard a few head say that Hip-Hop Dead. It’s not, it’s just malnurished and underfed.” -Southside Revival

“kept in bondage by the chain a creditor’s loan. Their money is like a B-Boys stance, it stays froze.” – Talk Story

Then there is Southbound and North By Northwest…probably the lamest of the bunch. I don’t know where to place Loyalty. The rap gets lost in the synthed background.

This reminds me of Redhead Kingpin and rappers of that era. Now, what’s funny is that if Eminem recorded the same tracks they’d be all over the charts.

Wil Says:
February 5th, 2008 at 12:37 am

As a Hip Hop head I had some of the same reaction to Mtume ya Salaam, but the subject matter kept me listening. I think these guys can only improve. How many times have BS artist get a second listen just on the strength of hot beats. I will be supporting these guys with my money if it helps to keep this strain of Hip Hop alive.

Stephanie Renee Says:
February 5th, 2008 at 9:21 am

I gotta say…some of the other tracks were just OK to me, but the soundscape of LOYALTY is amazing! And that’s the kind of layered sound that is sorely missing from most hip-hop these days. I heard 3 tracks from the forthcoming new Pete Rock project last week and almost cried. Even the greats aren’t making great music anymore. So anytime we get a pearl from the underground, I’m gonna polish it and hold it up. Thanks, as usual, for introducing to something new and fresh.

Charmaine Says:
February 5th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I respect almost everyone’s opinion about music. I don’t think that music speaks to everyone the same way. We are all touched differently..fed differently….aroused by different beats, different lyrics, different melodies.
However, I can’t imagine anyone would dare call The Blue Scholars- Geo and Sabzi- boring. If you really and truely appreciate music you would recognize their message, their style and their strength. Particularly if you saw them live- they are ANYTHIGN but boring. Geo commands the stage while Sabzi keeps everyone grooving with his beats.
What you can’t deny and what shouldn’t be lost is the critical message they are sending not only to young people but our future. Have a voice. Listen. Bring about change. Accept. Embrace. Mobilize. Be better and bigger than your past.
All of that is anything but boring. It’s powerful stuff. And if you can’t see that I would argue that perhaps it is you not the music that is boring.

Ken Says:
February 5th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Hip hop is a rigorous genre. Content, reflection, ideas coupled with lyrical dexterity and the ability to invoke “the nod.” The former can’t be at the expense of the latter.

Those of us who identify with Mtume’s golden age are indeed hungry for that new thing, that new understanding and expression in the genre.

Recommend anything by French hip hop act Hocus Pocus.

Also check “As Iron Sharpens Iron” by The Procussions.

Peace,