ANDY BEY / “Drume Negrita”

This entry was posted on Monday, January 21st, 2008 at 1:55 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “ANDY BEY / “Drume Negrita””

Marian Says:
January 26th, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Thanks again. I only recently ran upon Andy Bey. It’s great hearing different interpretations of the same song.

Charles Says:
April 15th, 2008 at 8:01 pm

I adore this melody. It has become my favorite. Imagine my joy and delight to discover 14 different versions on BOL. Although I initially heard this haunting melody from a Marissa Tomei film, “The Perez Family,” I had not made the connection to Andy Bey’s interpretation, which I purchased a few years after seeing the movie, until hearing it hear. How weird is that. And I consider myself such a music buff. Not paying attention here. Humbling isn’t it? I love all the featured versions and particularly think that Barretto’s is a creative wonder. It would be nice to get 14 on one disc. Any suggestions?

Lydia Garcia Says:
July 24th, 2008 at 10:39 am

Everything is perfect except that the author of Drume Negrita was not Eliseo Grenet but his brother Ernesto Grenet. I am sure of this, because they were both my great uncles.

kalamu sez

thank you very much for the correction. it has been changed in the article and your helpful comment has also been noted.

Jim McGehee Says:
January 20th, 2009 at 12:48 am

Thanks so much for putting this site together. I am a guitar student working on the “Dos Temas Populares” of Leo Brouwer, the major Cuban composer. ‘Cancion de Cuna” is of course the “Drume Negrita”, but harmonized in a somewhat different way. Mtume’s comment is spot on– I played it for several years, even in a concert, without really getting the feel of it. Your website convinced me to download a LOT of versions and listen more carefully–really this simple melody is the soul of Cuban music to me. The other theme in Brouwer’s work is “Ojos Brujos” which is not nearly as popular, but a good example of the older, pre-war style of Criollo.

And Omara Portuondo is my favorite version of all. She is a living legend.

Yash Says:
July 8th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Hello! I found this blog when I looked for the song Drume Negrita because of a version I have — the only one I’ve heard — by Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban. It’s a very slow Afro-Cuban groove with great percussion. Instrumental with jazz guitars taking the melody. Album: Mambo Sinuendo. Enjoy!

Carmen Grenet Says:
March 5th, 2012 at 7:16 am

Lydia Garcia is right. This song belongs to my father, Ernesto, and not my uncle, Eliseo. Even though Eliseo was the better known author, my father has a few well known songs and Drume Negrita is one of them. As Charles mentions above, Cdlia Cruz sung it in the Perez Family movie as ell as in one of her CDs. And just as an FYI, it is not a “mamey”, it’s a “melon”. I don’t know how these singers have sung it, but I am 100% sure it’s a melon, since the song was constantly sung to me by my father. Check out Celia Cruz’ version.

Doug Ventura Says:
July 13th, 2012 at 4:19 am

I have been playing this Song for a number of years and was inspired by the version by the famous George Shearing Quintet. My band played it in The Guinea Gourmet in Southampton. U.K. We were joined by a Guatemalan who play the Toomba.It’s still in my repetoire.even now.