REBIRTH BRASS BAND / “Do Whatcha Wanna (Part 3)”

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 6th, 2007 at 11:50 pm and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “REBIRTH BRASS BAND / “Do Whatcha Wanna (Part 3)””

Michael Says:
October 7th, 2007 at 6:54 am

brought tears to my eye…

catherine Says:
October 7th, 2007 at 7:26 am

I’ve never had such a strong sense for how the mood, the feel, the imagination of the city has changed than I’ve had while reading the comments on that article.

ajani Says:
October 7th, 2007 at 8:08 am

it is cultural genocide! and it’s too damned sad

WodaabeMan Says:
October 8th, 2007 at 3:23 am

Asante sana Kalamu for sharing this insightful piece on what is happening, once again, to destroy or at least control, the free flow of African culture. Anthropologically, Second Lining is the heart, soul and cultural essence of Black New Orleans and if you kill it or otherwise constrain its free expression, you kill a people. Getting permits for Second Lines cunjures up the same type of cultural oppression that attempted to crush the creative genius of Monk, Eric Dolphy, Mingus and many other through the use of cabaret cards in New York. I say keep playing the music and keep it strong!

Russ Says:
October 8th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

This whole thing sucks in so many ways…the assumption that any gathering of black people will be a riot of drugs and violence…the violation of freedom of assembly…the assumption that it was some white newcomer’s complaint that caused NOPD to over-react…the fact that NOPD over-reacted yet again…. Ray Nagin supposedly grew up in Treme. He should be out there second lining until people get it. Disney World is in Florida.

kalamu sez

chris rose, one of the most popular columnists for the times picayune, the daily n.o. newspaper, wrote an opinion on the secondline shutdown. among other things he said: "The day you need permission to beat a drum, shake a tambourine and stream hot air out of the fat end of the brass down in Treme is the day the music dies."

read his entire column here.

The Magnificent Goldberg Says:
October 9th, 2007 at 7:03 am

So I’ve heard the Rebirth before. I’ve got some tracks they guested on in a Maceo album. But, though I meant to, I never did get around to exploring their music. So thanks Kalamu. This is nice. As ever, this kind of music reminds me of traditional street Mbalax in Dakar, Senegal.
And “Feel like funkin’ it up” reminds me big time of Bill Doggett’s “Hold it”.

MUST get some Rebirth.

MG

The Magnificent Goldberg Says:
October 9th, 2007 at 7:16 am

PS Forgot to say how much I liked it that the rhythm on theses cuts was so much looser than on the Maceo album.

MG

Kiini Ibura Says:
October 11th, 2007 at 11:54 am

You know, I saw Soul Rebels at Summerstage in Central Park this summer. I was very excited to hear them and they sounded great. Halfway through the set I turned to my friends–also New Orleanians–and asked them if they thought Soul Rebels were going to play any classics. By classics, of course, I meant big songs from when I was in high school. Specifically I wanted to hear “It Ain’t My Fault” and, you guessed it, “Do What You Wanna.” For the rest of the concert we screamed the names of those tunes in vain. They didn’t play those classics. As the concert went on, they veered away from tradition and played top 40 hits and a few rock songs. They were playing crossover tunes, I guess, maybe not realizing that a few exiles and expats were in the audience jonesing for a little nostalgia.

Now that y’all gone and done gave me what I was asking for, Imma download it tonight! thanks.