BILLIE HOLIDAY feat. LADYBUG / “Spreading Rhythm Around”

This entry was posted on Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 at 12:21 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “BILLIE HOLIDAY feat. LADYBUG / “Spreading Rhythm Around””

Berry Says:
July 22nd, 2007 at 7:50 am

I think I lost my original comment because I couldn’t read the code correctly. In any event I think these are called mashes? This is similar to the Amel Standards discussion where I like Billie and I like Lady Bug Mecca so you might think great combo. I could take or leave it. I don’t find it to be a mess and I think it stays true to the original art form while infusing a hip hop beat. I think it is a great intro to jazz for the uneducated – kids could benefit from it as a form of jazz appreciation. Think of adding a spoonful of sugar to medicine and that is what this is. Pretty much the same thing that Andre 3000 did with the Idlewild soundtrack.

Ekere Says:
July 22nd, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Ummm, yeah. Well, I like that samba sounding joint A LOT . And how can one not like Lady Bug vs Lady Day? The other stuff? I think they were “doing too much” as my homegirls used to say in Cali.

one love,
Ekere

HotButteredSoul Says:
July 22nd, 2007 at 10:16 pm

I’m a big fan of Lady Day’s, as well as a loyal househead but I must thank you for providing a preview of what I’d heard about and was considering adding to my collection. “I Hear Music” “Travlin All Alone” “More Than You Know” (funky!) are the three that get my vote. The rest — they stray too far from the formula and our beloved Lady is lost in the shuffle!

Qawi Robinson Says:
July 23rd, 2007 at 11:41 am

Thanks guys for this exposure to “alternative” music. This isn’t quite Ornett Coleman (Avant Garde Jazz) but a club mix for Billie Holliday music almost seems like sacrilige. I’ve got an open mind, but I can’t wrap my ears around any of the cuts. I will give ‘You’re So Desirable’ some credit because of the guitar playing and the timing of Billie’s voice. Spreadin’ the Rhythm around ALMOST had me, but the tempo seems slightly off. Characteristic of what was said about Billie anyway in the Ken Burns series, Jazz…Billie sings behind the beat.

Berry Says:
July 23rd, 2007 at 2:11 pm

BTW, you can listen to the full album here:

Steve Noel Sr. Says:
August 8th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Steve Noel Sr.

Your topic jenesaispop.com ” Amy Amy Amy was interesting when I found it on Saturday searching for billie holiday remix. Good Reading! Steve Noel Sr.