This entry was posted on Sunday, May 27th, 2007 at 12:10 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “GRANDMASTER FLASH / “The Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel””

chris defendorf Says:
May 27th, 2007 at 10:50 am

did you know that you can get domain names with the name .dj now? i picked up http://www.scratch.dj

so now my email is dj@scratch.dj

anyway –

: )

i’d love for you to look at DJ Johnny Juice’s work on Public Enemy’s "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back". It’s credited as Terminator X, and he does some of the scratching. Most is done by DJ Johnny Juice. The turntablism is amazing.

I have his email if you want to talk to him.

Mtume says:

Interesting. I didn’t know that. (That an uncredited DJ was putting in work for Terminator X.) I saw a few Public Enemy shows back when they were in their heyday, and I was always a little suspicious of Terminator X behind the tables. He didn’t seem particularly comfortable. But then, a lot of the live P.E. thing was theater, so it was always hard to tell what who was stiff because of being uncomfortable and who was stiff because that was their intentional shtick. Or both, I guess.

BTW, why is that name, Johnny Juice, familiar? Did he eventually get credited on later P.E. releases? Or did he do some other stuff? I feel like I’ve seen the name somewhere before.

(That is comical that internet domain extensions have turned into a free-for-all. I’ve seen .us and .tv too.)

Later!

Rudy Says:
May 27th, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Yall is jamming. I can’t remember when I have had so much fun. It’s like looking into a mirror of physical distortions/contortions that keeps changing one’s appearance humorously as one moves about. Thanks ever so much for this mess of unique aural/visual pleasures. Makes one want to jump up shout and shake a turkey feather. What glorious madness!!! — Rudy

Linda D. Says:
May 28th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Jus bought the cd Grand Master Flash Essential Mix Classic Edition. LOVIN’ IT!!!!! Brings me way back . . . I highly recommend. Thank you SOOOOO much for this site and the great music week after week.
Peace
Linda

Berry Says:
May 29th, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Wow…back in the days when they created records for people to dance to note just nod their heads and do a two step or booty shake. I love this remix…it brings back good memories. Feel good music!

a-one Says:
May 29th, 2007 at 10:22 pm

I’m loving this article. Especially the breakdown of new school vs old school. Too many people don’t “get it.”

Elizabeth Says:
June 1st, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Grandmaster Flash helped invent both an art form, the hip-hop sound, and a type of artist, the turntablist DJ. I love his work, especially what he did with Blondie. For all you DJ’s and mixers out there, there’s a DJ and sneaker competition coming up. All you have to do is submit your original mixes and or sneaker designs to be apart of the battle. The Live Battles take place in Atlanta, DC, and Chicago, where DJ’s and sneaker artists will face off and reveal their skills. The celeb judges will include Kenzo, DJ Clark Kent, Eddie Cruz, and Bradley Carbone. Also performing live will be Dice Raw from The Roots and Truck North. Check out the site for more details: http://www.yarisversusyaris.com I work with Toyota, so I’m just giving you a heads up.

TIM Says:
November 13th, 2007 at 1:37 am

I AM TRYING TO FIND THE SONG THAT GRANDMASTER FLASH AND THE FURIOUS 5 DOES IT’S ABOUT BEFORE RUN HAD HIS 1ST PAIR OF ADDIAS …IT’S WHEN THEY DO THE LIVE SHOW RIGHT AFTER A COUNT TO KEITH COWBOY AND RIGHT BEFORE THE MESSAGE IF ANYONE KNOWS EMAIL ME DYTIMMYS@AOL.COM THX