FUNKADELIC / “Maggot Brain”

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 6th, 2007 at 12:18 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “FUNKADELIC / “Maggot Brain””

rich Says:
May 6th, 2007 at 3:49 am

There is a raw, emotional power to this track that is just transcendental and its all to do with Eddie’s playing. Years ago, when I first heard the track it took me to another place – I thought I had gone into orbit and returned a more enlightened man. It was such an intense response. I remember just listening to the track over and over, and yet being kind of worried too that at some stage its magic would wear off as it became so familiar, and I wouldn’t experience that feeling again. I shouldn’t have worried because it still kicks me in the head! love it

rich Says:
May 6th, 2007 at 3:59 am

oh, yeah – the best of all time – wes montgomery

Sam Says:
May 16th, 2007 at 9:23 am

I heard this track for the first time yesterday.

This is the best guitar solo I have ever heard. In fact every other guitarist might as well give up. This is as good as it gets. It has changed how I view guitar solos forever. Thank you Mr Eddie Hazel.

Sherance Says:
May 31st, 2007 at 5:51 pm

cool debate I love jimi and eddie, yeah hendrix was better but eddie’s right behind him you wanna hear uncut eddie check out ruth copeland’s i am what i am, and standing on the verge, free your mind albums and good to your earhole from let;s take it to the stage.

Shannon Says:
November 16th, 2007 at 1:59 am

I’ve never been one for rock music or even electric guitar..besides enjoying some of Prince and some of Hendricks…but my story goes like this about this song “maggot brain”…..My father LOVEDDDDD the electric guitar and was self taught……He just passed away on Oct 13th,2007….a quick(3 months) and agonizing battle with pancreatic cancer…..long story short….one of the things he willed me was his pick-up truck……the first time I drove it home after he passed away, (it was about an hour drive)…I turned on his radio and this song…..this song just pierced through my soul!!!!!!!!so raw …so intence…so much feelinggggggggg……I got goose bumps…and then cried….I listen to that song over and over and cried for the whole hour that I was driving. When I got to my home, I couldn’t move…I listened to it for about another hour after that outside in the drive way. It was on a blank tape that he had made…(yes he still had a casstte deck in his truck,lol)ah! Dad!…..so I came on the internet and googled the intro to the song “mother earth is pregnant for the third time” because I had to find out who made this song. To think that my father had this song over and over on a 60 minute cassette tape and it was the last thing he was listening to and when I read up about the song, the strangest irony is that George Clinton told Eddie to “Play like his Momma just died”…I felt every intense note of what he was playing at the thought of losing a parent. It was and still is too real for words.

Toni Says:
June 2nd, 2008 at 12:39 am

Is the most beautiful solo I’ve ever seen

Mister X Says:
March 3rd, 2009 at 2:32 am

Yeah… Maggot Brain …

First time I heard it was circa 1971, about 2 am on Jay William Weeds show, on KSJO FM, in San Jose, CA..

I was Totally Blown Away!

I looked for it to no avail, but late in ’72 I was working in a record store in the LA area (the Valley), and ordered a copy.

After weeks, it didn’t arrive so I called the distributor, and bugged him about it.

It eventually came in with a personal note from the distributor that I got the last copy.

I’ve been a selector on the radio since 1980, and I play ALL styles of music, and Maggot Brain still has the BEST Guitar Solo I’ve ever heard.

R.I.P. Eddie.