AL GREEN / “Belle”

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 15th, 2006 at 12:09 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “AL GREEN / “Belle””

The duke Says:
July 13th, 2010 at 11:40 am

Nice one never thought of that! like the thought.

keep on thinking

SkiNdN-Grrl Says:
September 15th, 2012 at 12:29 am

I don’t know if ‘Belle’ refurs to a woman, fame, drugs or a combination of all. (I mean it WAS the ’70’s!) I can only say that any could be a HUGE temptation & that this is one of the most beautiful songs ever. The Rev. Al has it! That man can sing & I bow to his talent.

Mother Mouse Says:
October 9th, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’m not sure that the song indicates that he’s breaking off the relationship. I understood it to mean that he’s telling his lady that although she is very important to him, that the Lord comes first — he’s setting the priorties straight, making sure she understands how close his relationship with the Lord is. Possibly explaining why he is wanting to remain celibate at this time (until their marriage). This would explain about “I’ve tried to act naturally,” he didn’t want her to think him odd or effeminate for choosing to not have sex yet, and “let’s not waste each other’s time,” meaning let’s get married right away. Reminding her that they need to keep the Lord in their home, in their life, in their relationship.

“Let’s you and I let the Love come down” . . . could be referring to the Holy Spirit, he’s saying, “We’re not just a couple, but a trio with inclusion of the Holy Spirit.”

OR, alternately, he COULD be breaking off the relationship because the girl is not a Christian, he perceives that she is not an appropriate life mate for him, because he would be, as the Scriptures warn again, “unequally yoked.” If she’s not a godly woman, she’s not the right one for him.

Seems to me the lyrics could go either way. This is a really old thread, and there may be no one to read it, oh well. . . lol

Belle Pierdon Says:
October 14th, 2012 at 6:01 am

I see this thread is very old, however, my name is Belle and I can tell you, which you might be aware of already, that the name “Belle” translated, means “beautiful”.
Perhaps Al Green did mean fame if he considers/considered fame as beautiful but perhaps his own meaning of “Belle” was just that as it stands; to give up the beautiful women that he could not resist? Maybe he “saw this as a sign”, after his girlfriend poured the boiling hot grits onto Al Green, and decided to stop messing around with more than one woman at a time..? I am just guessing here because I do see the odd way that “Belle” is sung in this song and it does not sound like he is singing to a singular female, but rather, the body of the beauties [plural].

Warren Carpenter Says:
December 6th, 2014 at 11:03 am

I don’t have anything prophetic to say, but I love the song. It reminds me of a girl I wanted but dare not have.

Julia Says:
December 19th, 2014 at 12:11 pm

It was explained to me that “Belle” was not a woman… Al was torn between circular music and gospel music. “Belle” represented circular music which is what he wanted to do and brought him fame/ fortune hence; the line in the song “it’s you that I want”. His roots however was gospel and he felt if he left he would be turning his back on the church/God hence; the line in song “it’s Him that I need”. Just another analogy.