TWO BANKS OF FOUR / “Afro Blue”

MP3 17 Afro Blue (2 Banks).mp3 (4.17 MB)

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 6th, 2006 at 12:31 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “TWO BANKS OF FOUR / “Afro Blue””

Paul Says:
August 8th, 2006 at 4:03 am

Might this be the same Rob Gallagher who was part of Galliano: an early triphop / jazz dance collective that made some beautiful soulful music in the early nineties? They are definitely worth a post.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galliano_(band)

Ken Says:
August 9th, 2006 at 7:58 pm

Not generally a fan of vocalese, but Oscar Brown’s cover is tremendous. A case where lyrics actually give new resonance to an already great song (another example I’d cite is a Jon Hendricks lyric/vocal cover of Bobby Timmons’ “Moanin'”).

Two other inspired versions of “Afro Blue” out there–(from) “Tito Puente’s Golden Latin Jazz All-Stars–Live at the Village Gate (Mongo plays with T.P.),” circa 1992. Also, a Mongo Santamaria title, “Watermelon Man”–the version of “Afro Blue” on here was recorded live at the Blackhawk Theater in San Francisco, 1962. This one has a bit more of that clave work in it that you cited in the Reeves cover, Kalamu.

The work that you two do on this site is truly life-affirming. Just great.

Simone Grant Says:
August 10th, 2006 at 8:11 am

Lizz Wright has an amazing version of “Afro Blue” on her first album entitled Salt.

Anonymous Says:
August 11th, 2006 at 6:37 am

Try out Jeffrey Smith’s version from the 1999 Down Here Below project (also recently featured on the Kings Of Jazz compilation). Great energy, great arrangements and authentic supporting vocals from Malian songstress Assitan ‘Mama’ Keita.

Other worthy mentions from my archives :-

Abbey Lincoln from Abbey Is Blue (1959)
Cal Tjader from Soul Sauce (1964)
Dee Dee Bridgewater from Afro Blue (1974)
J-Life from Tomorrow’s Warriors Presents… (1998) (Julie Dexter on vocals)
Roy Budd (feat. Okou) 12″ (2006)

ekere Says:
August 11th, 2006 at 7:46 am

My gosh, all of this is hot–no exceptions. I dig it all.

D. Reeves is soooooooo…breathtaking. I interviewed her way back when she released Art and Survival and she is such a pure soul. ( Are they chanting “Yemaya” in the background of her version of Afro Blue or is that my imagination???)

That Zum Zum…yes!!! On point. Ay.

And come on, I can’t even be articulate about the Coltrane take on it.

Santamaria, 2Banks…all gorgeous.

Have y’all seen Donnie Betts film about Oscar brown Jr?????? Pure brilliance.

This week, BOL has me levitating.
Big up!!!!

one love,
Ekere

tayari kwa salaam Says:
August 11th, 2006 at 10:13 am

7! Seven! Yes, seven versions of one tune. I love it!!!!! Do this as often as yall can and want to.

ekere Says:
August 12th, 2006 at 9:00 am

oh, and I like a reggae tinged version of Afro Blue by a group called Survival Sounds.

one love,
Ekere

Steve Says:
March 16th, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Thereare at least 150 recorded versions of Afro Blue. Even the all Music Guide does not list them all. I am in the process of putting together a 5 CD compilation with as many as I could reasonably find.

Steve