This entry was posted on Sunday, June 25th, 2006 at 12:46 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “JOHN COLTRANE & JOHNNY HARTMAN / “Lush Life””

ms. b Says:
June 25th, 2006 at 10:53 am

Adore it…one of my favorites.

Big E Says:
June 25th, 2006 at 1:47 pm

Another version of “My One and Only Love” that worth a listen is by Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff’s House band, MFSB. It appears on 1995’s “The Best of MFSB:Love Is the Message” CD. Good music for the eardrums!!!

chris defendorf Says:
June 25th, 2006 at 5:26 pm

what a classic. i used to listen to this on vinyl. had a great vibe. this was my first introduction to both of these songs. Just amazing.

one & only love-
trane supposedly improvised the solo in the beginning because hartman was going to start after a brief into, but was just stunned by trane’s playing.

I love this song.

lush life-
i agree with the post-35 comment, or maybe we should educate people better about relationships and how to make them work.
i was flabbergasted that he was so young when he wrote this.
his craft is incredible. perhaps only a teenager could write this song, it’s so sentimental on the surface.

this is one of my favorite songs and recordings I’ve ever heard. I love when the drums come in with trane louder.

i think the lyrics can be seen as a portrait of a kind of betrayal. The classic betrayal that is important to have so you can grow up. You know? “I’ve been betrayed so bad, nothing else could be worse, and I’ll live”.

Has anyone heard Rahsaan Roland Kirk’s “The Vibration Continues” record?

I think that he has a great version on there.

another great bol!

Nadir Says:
June 26th, 2006 at 1:22 am

I love Sarah Vaughns version of lush life.
Just wanted to share that with the world.

My wife loves MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE
by trane and hartman.

anything that encourages more intimacy is alright
with me.

ekere Says:
June 26th, 2006 at 3:52 pm

You’ve outdone yourselves this week. Hmmm…gotta get off this computer and get to my honey. 🙂

one love,

the bookworm Says:
June 19th, 2007 at 2:18 am

About 20 years ago there was an essay in Esquire magazine about the greatest song of all time. It was Lush Life by Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane. They never lied, either. Hartman could break your heart with his voice and Coltrane;s sax is the sexiest sound possible. My other favorite by him in addition to My One and Only Love is I Just Dropped By To Say Hello.