MARLENA SHAW / “California Soul”

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 4th, 2006 at 12:06 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “MARLENA SHAW / “California Soul””

Nadir Says:
June 4th, 2006 at 10:25 am

oooooh!!!

i wasn’t up on Marlena Shaw.

Guru must’ve kissed Primo when he first heard the song that was going to be sampled for “Check The Technique.”

It sounds like someone else got a healthy dose of Ms. Marlena’s “Cali Soul.”

Badu (see: mama’s gun).

Gentlemen,
dip more often…

tayari kwa salaam Says:
June 4th, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Marlena’s 1973 live “Woman Of The Ghetto” with only a jazz trio backing is alla dat n den some. She covers so much ground soulfully, truth-telling/calling. Love dah way African American women be theorizin/philosophizin.

kristjan Says:
June 5th, 2006 at 12:06 pm

maybe i am just way too into sould music, but to hear marlena shaw is “slept on” or under-appreciated, is just crazy to me. this is a woman of style. i would like to point people in the direction of blueboy’s “remember me” with a sample from the live version of “woman of the ghetto”. very nicely done. well played BOL, keep it up……..

Eléonore Says:
June 8th, 2006 at 4:57 pm

About the kalimba on “Woman of the ghetto”…
… I’m glad you bring the question up because I’ve actually always thought it was a berimbau. Thanks for that!

BRUNO Says:
July 14th, 2006 at 9:54 pm

MARLENA SHAW, CALIFORNIA SOUL.. IS THE FIRST TIME THAT HER VOICE GOT INTO MY EARS AND I GOT HOOK.. THIS SONG TOUCH YOUR SOUL, GIVE YOU PEACE, SET YOUR MIND AT EASY…CALIFORNIA SOUL.. JUST A VOICE.. FROM HEAVEN…LOVE IT…

Bud K Says:
December 8th, 2006 at 6:34 pm

I am one of Malena Shaw’s biggest fans and feel that she is one of the unsung sheroes of her era. Despite never having a crossover hit, one of her most spectacular singles was ” Go Away Little Boy”, which still blows my socks off. When you listen to a song like this, the female artists today can’t light a match to her artistry. Its like listening to ear candy. She was Chaka meets Nancy Wilson meets Angela Bofill rolled into one. Awesome Lady!!!

Gabe Says:
July 28th, 2007 at 9:20 pm

I never heard of Marlena Shaw until I watched the italian job…. What a voice! I am hooked.

TJ STRICK Says:
August 27th, 2008 at 4:38 pm

AMAZING! describes the works of Marlena Shaw. Street Walking Woman is the most played in my catalogue. Lots of artists start songs with monologues, but the dialogue between Shaw and Byron Olsen is both intriguing and ahead of its time. LOVE HER!!!!

Jeff Says:
April 26th, 2013 at 3:00 pm

who played bass on California Soul? Been a Marlena fan for nearly 40 years when Who is this Bitch was released..