This entry was posted on Saturday, May 27th, 2006 at 11:54 pm and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “HUGH MASEKELA / “Stimela””

Berry Says:
May 28th, 2006 at 12:14 am

I remember “Grazing” was also and interlude for “Sarafina.” That was my first true introduction to South African culture. Talented man indeed.

tayari kwa salaam Says:
May 29th, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Unfortunately, I’m not one to invest in buyin the music of different artists. For one, I’m surrounded by folk who love music and give me so many cds that I really don’t want for music to play. BUT I had to buy this particular Hugh Masekela cd. The whole collection just grabbed me n I had to have it. The instrumentals helped me write many of mah papers in grad school.

Kola Says:
May 30th, 2006 at 9:10 pm

Greta post.. this track reminds me of stuff my old man used to play when I was younger… in those days I used to hate any kinda Arican music.. its weird that now that I am far away from the mother-land I crave the Fela’s and Hugh’s and what have you.. Great Post, Thanks!

Kiini Says:
May 31st, 2006 at 12:56 pm

I’ve always thought grazing in the grass was an incredibly upbeat song. In a way that surprised me.

So it’s interesting to know that it was Hugh Masekela’s song.

Did it come to the U.S. as an instrumental and then whoever remade it (a one hit wonder) put their own lyrics, or what? what’s the story with that?

giorgi Says:
September 11th, 2006 at 4:40 am

i like hugh masekela

Nicky Says:
November 29th, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Would anyone happen to know the lyrics to Coal Train (Stimela)?

Connie O. Says:
February 22nd, 2008 at 9:21 pm

This is one of my FAVORITE songs. I’ve been listening to this song for years. I especially like to run while listening. I have developed a mental music video for the entire song even though I don’t know the meaning of the lyrics. I KNOW THE FEELING OF THIS SONG. Love It!

kyle lawrence Says:
November 12th, 2008 at 11:30 am

Great song, but what is the “true” meaning of the lyrics “Grazin in the Grass?” I have my ideas but would really like to know. Again, it’s a awesome song, hear it every day at work during lunch.

Pierre B Says:
February 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Does anybody have the lyrics to Stimela?

Gideon motlatla Says:
May 16th, 2012 at 10:55 am

One of my song it’s :stimela:it remind me of my uncle