TKZEE / “I Got You”

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 27th, 2006 at 11:56 pm and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “TKZEE / “I Got You””

tayari kwa salaam Says:
May 29th, 2006 at 7:50 pm

Like a kindergartener, I’m learning n appreciatin the knowledge. Hope someone from South Africa responds to Mtume’s question.

Qawi Robinson Says:
May 30th, 2006 at 12:56 pm

Bro. Mtume,

I hope someone from South Africa responds too.

But the obvious answer is that KWAITO is young, urban, full of expression and upbeat. It is faddish but also has some substance. In some ways it parallels American Hip-Hop, and in other ways it doesn’t. Yeah, Mtume, we’ve already heard “Joy and Pain” used in a Rap/Hip-Hop application ala Rob Base. However, you must remember that certain countries are JUST GETTING some of our modern-Post 80’s stuff. So, they’ve had the equivalent of listening to our reruns getting a perspective on Hip-Hop music. At least in some of the West African countries I know of, Hip-Hop was viewed as VIOLENT and OVERLY SEXUAL, thus an anti-popularity ensued. The American videos that got shipped over there didn’t help matters much either. But things are changing with the rise of Kwaito and Japanese Hip-Hop.

Would I listen to Kwaito on an everyday basis, probably not. However, it is refreshing to hear a different way of creative expression. Even if they sampled/stole/interpolated some of the songs I hold dear. And remember too, their audience is not Americans, but other South Africans who might not have heard our music before.

BTW, I see things have changed for the better about International Hip-Hop since the Telemary Diaz post. :)

P.S., the security code part to submit on this site is challenging to say the least.

Mtume says:

Yes, we know the security code thing is a pain. We had to do it though, because we’d started getting upwards of 300 spam ‘comments’ per day. We did notice that the legitimate comments slowed down right after we installed the security code, and that’s too bad. We liked it the way it was before, but unfortunately the spammers have made comment filtering a necessary evil.

ZUKANI Says:
June 13th, 2006 at 4:03 am

KWAITO IS NOT ONLY ABOUT DANCE IT’S ALSO A TEARS DESTROYER GROW UP KWAITO BECAUSE U AR THE BEST FOR THE WORLD AS THE WHOLE

jamila Says:
July 4th, 2006 at 6:21 am

my name is jamila from maputo i want tok to kabelo .

phumzile Says:
July 21st, 2006 at 10:48 am

You get the artists such as Mdu and Arthur that produce music that just makes people want move, just go to a southern african party and watch how people young and just come alive when the bass starts thumping… Dancing is really big on the kwaito scene just catch a trompies video and you’ll see for yourself.

You then get the Zola’s and Mapaputsi’s that deal with issues of the new Suth Africa. True, the style of some of these artists resembles American Hip Hop but the Mzekezeke’s of kwaito bring a fresh and entertaining flavour. I think you have to have an understanding of the lyrics to truly grasp the meaning of what kwaito brings.

As a young south african living abroad I feel it keeps me close to home . I cant answer for every kwaito fan but I think for most people it connects rhythmically and in a lot of ways emotionally.

mabeater Says:
May 15th, 2007 at 8:17 am

i think kwaito is 4 little children it sucks

mabeater Says:
May 15th, 2007 at 8:20 am

kwaito is boring with it boring instruments i think house is far more beta,ill rather listen to profesor and t’zozo than listening to tkzee or mdu

lithuline Says:
October 15th, 2008 at 5:40 am

it depends on the person to listen to whatever he or she wanna listen. basically i think tkzee brought back the heat and i still enjoy their music even today. so i cant really say much but it rocks!!!!! 2lani

sunfly Says:
June 15th, 2009 at 9:17 pm

When the world briefly basks in the South African soccer world cup next yeat The kwaito bands will chant and joyfully sing and win the hearts of all who take part in such a magnificent event.Bless them all.

Dj Dazzy Daz Says:
July 12th, 2013 at 8:24 am

Hi guys
I had this album when i was on high school, i live in namibia & would like to know where can i get it again

Thanks