GHOSTFACE KILLAH feat. MARY J. BLIGE / “All That I Got Is You”

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 14th, 2006 at 12:05 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “GHOSTFACE KILLAH feat. MARY J. BLIGE / “All That I Got Is You””

hardCore Says:
May 14th, 2006 at 4:12 pm

pac is really the only rapper who emotes on the level of a blues singer. you FEEL him. i think that’s where his greatness lies. most rappers tried to out wit each other. meanwhile pac outshined them all on an emotional level. pac overated? never that. lol

tayari kwa salaam Says:
May 14th, 2006 at 5:27 pm

I gotta be honest. This ain’t mah thang, but I’m listening n learning to whatchu sayin, Mtume. I deeply appreciate what Afeni says bout my/our generation bein “frightened into panic” n yeah, lying to our children, sometimes consciously, sometimes not, unaware of the detriment/death we would n have caused for our children/the next generation, generation x.

Nadir Says:
May 14th, 2006 at 6:34 pm

I have never been a tupac fan

post katrina
and I still have over a thousand hip hop records in my house
from classics to wackest
not one tupac rhyme is in my collection

personally I dug dude better as an actor than a mc.
in fact, his role as “bishop” catapulted his career.

which brings me to Dear Mama.
I have always thought the “crack fiend” line was inappropriate
and exploitive.

I’ve read more positive things about Afeni Shakur
in anthologies about the Black Panthers, than any song Tupac
has ever made in reference to his mother.

I think the older folk embrace this song because they think it’s an end result
of the comments Afeni made in the intro of mtume’ piece.

the image of mom in the video, while her son was incarcerated didn’t hurt either.

scarface begat tupac (in content and style)
he just didn’t have the looks, cultural upbringing, or acting prowess
to reach iconic status.

DJKATA Says:
May 15th, 2006 at 3:57 am

Nadir – I Cosign 100%
Thats all that needs to be said

hardCore Says:
May 15th, 2006 at 9:24 am

hold up nadir… if afeni didn’t think the line was expoitive why should you?

as for scarface, i like him too. but pac towers over him in personality, flow, versality, honesty and once again, emotion.

and like you, i own a lot of records. yeah, there are certain artists who i am just not fans of, but even those artist have made records that are just undeniable. to insinuate pac has nothing worthy of being in your collection says less about who pac was as an artist, and more about who you are as a listener. not trying to convert you to like 2pac, that seems unlikely. just asking you to listen, through clean ears, instead of the ones they believe, “pac is wack”. peace.

Kiini Says:
May 17th, 2006 at 3:07 pm

it’s probably as much my own personal issues than anything, but i felt angy and sick at the end of the ghostface killa’s song and a “father” voice is talking and laughing. after all the trials and tribulations of the mother and children, i didn’t want to hear theorizing from the father figure, unless he was telling his side or something… but maybe he was supposed to be the grown up ghostface? but ghostface is grown. i don’t know what that was.

i wasn’t really feeling the Goodie Mob. it is like you described when you covered them… they are earthy and not too many frills. but i just didn’t like it. but i did like hearing a bit of variety in your stories.

re: Tupac, you’re right Baba. Perceptive of you to notice that only Tupac’s was actually about his mother. hmmmm.

Going to do a father’s day one?

interesting to listen to this in relationship to Gil’s pieces.

kiini

ing Says:
May 19th, 2006 at 11:10 am

I always thought Tupac was talented. Great flow, better actor and real feeling. That said he’s still not one of the greatest rappers, he’s average with his wordplay, nearly mother goose with his vocabulary. I like him but he’s not in the rakim/kane/etc. category.