GIL SCOTT-HERON / “Pieces Of A Man”

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 7th, 2006 at 12:03 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “GIL SCOTT-HERON / “Pieces Of A Man””

tayari kwa salaam Says:
May 7th, 2006 at 9:09 am

Been into bol for just a few weeks. Just been lookin at duh impressive photos to get a feel of who the artists/musicians are. Well, this is the first time I’ve read what Mtume n Kalamu are puttin down bout the artist/musician. I guess that’s cuz Gil has a special place in my heart when he was one of the few and sometimes it felt like the only voice speaking truth to duh people back in the 70s.

Chris Defendorf Says:
May 7th, 2006 at 10:09 am

This is probably my favorite Gil Scott-Heron song. I love the delivery he gives, plus the piano chords are gorgeous.

But he’s a genious. We actually (kind of) collaborated in a live setting a few years back via my old bandmate borrowing my sampler & sounds when he gigged with Gil.

Peace everybody.

Koranteng Ofosu-Amaah Says:
May 7th, 2006 at 10:55 am

There must be something in the air…

I’ve spent the past few weeks thinking and writing about Gil and especially his B-movie theory, namely that we are living in a moment where nostalgia is key, and that we’re anaesthesizing ourselves with cowboy politics, selective amnesia and worse, when we’d rather have John Wayne. And Baghdad and New Orleans are not the only ones who can testify to that insight.

He is one the great satirists, punctuating his critique with a melodious line and a soulful groove. It’s uncanny how he does it, that you can’t help but nod your head, tap your feet and laugh out loud even as you want to cry at what he is saying. His body of work is heroic, his prescience altogether scary. But it is hard living as a canary in a minefield, if no one is listening and home is where the hatred, can it be a surprise if there only remain fractured pieces of a man? Dig: I too might drown myself in fugitive spirits.

Anyway let’s kick some urban griot poetry around this joint. Or should we call it soul food?

hardCore Says:
May 7th, 2006 at 10:41 pm

poetry and music. poetry and songwriting. distinct and different, yet always begging to be merged.

gil scot’s words are so…..interesting, that you over look the fact the singing in a lot of his recordings sound off tune. it only adds to the heartfelt quality of the lyrics. as a poet, the song seems to be the natural progression, a place to separate yourself from you more competitive counterparts. hip hop poets battle. open mic poets slam. poets searching for somewhere pure, a place free from the competition, find the song. thank god for gil scot. peace.

Ukali Says:
May 8th, 2006 at 9:09 am

I listen to Gil to break blue feelings that destroy one’s soul. He smashes them to dust that blows away with the next hopeful breeze in his next song. Gil descends into the hellish pit of human despair like no one else, then soars to the zenith of human courage – daring us to find within ourselves the will to resist oppression, beat back pessimism, and strive toward something better. It’s cathartic; cleanses the spirit; preps me for the long road ahead.

His lyrics are raw, street-scholar poetry. He offers perfect counterbalance to the gentle might heard in the songs of my favorite artist, Curtis Mayfield, who (before Gil) helped make politically conscious music both palatable and popular. For me, it don’t get no more real than that.

I listen to Gil and remember how he inspired so many of us who advocated Black Power. I listen and wonder about so many of us who are now mute and mainstream. I listen and shudder at the thought that Gil’s work has become an academic study instead of a call to protracted struggle.

“…ain’t nobody fighting ’cause nobody knows what to save.”

Ralph Bevilaqua Says:
May 8th, 2006 at 10:26 am

Does anybody know what’s going on with Gil? I saw him a few years ago at Blues Alley in D.C., but can’t seem to find out what he is doing or if he’s around?
Ralph

ekere Says:
May 9th, 2006 at 3:48 am

Wow, Ukali and Ofosu-Amaah have really said it. Word.

I always have to prepare myself to listen to Brother Gil because I know–really know–that he is going to break my heart somehow. Sometimes I feel so moved because his commentary is so on point, other times it’s about the way his voice breaks with sincerity, sometimes it’s because I wish he would kick his addiction, other times it’s because music now is just some mess to make a buck. He travels me through so much that I despair over.

What a messenger.

one love,
Ekere

Laguna Films - New Art Says:
September 7th, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Good blog you have got here.. It’s hard to find high-quality writing like yours
nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you!

Take care!!