4HERO / “I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun”

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 19th, 2006 at 2:36 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “4HERO / “I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun””

Brandon Says:
March 19th, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Man, you bruthas are killin. I first heard the MAW version a year, or so, ago. It sounded so familiar, but I can’t say that I’d heard the RC version before, though I should have. The 4Hero version is an excellent followup to the MAW version. You could mix them to follow each other and create a great mood. It’s a driving song. There are some elements in the 4Hero version, the strings in particular, that I’ve heard on the first Zero7 album, Simple Things. You’ve probably heard them. Check out “Likufanele” and you’ll hear a chorus like Black Gold’s, lush strings
and horn. I highly recommend them.

Qawi Says:
March 20th, 2006 at 12:57 pm

D -n B and Guitar! The original version of “I am the Black Gold of the Sun” has an interesting lead guitar undercurrent. Of course none will forget the piano melody and the congas, but even in a minor role the guitar is felt. It starts off acoustic then through the melody you get electric guitar riffs. Take them out, and the song sounds like all of the rest. I know this is a D-n-B set, but don’t forget the composite is greater than the sum of its parts individually.

I’ll give 4Hero credit as musicians as well at least in what they did with the intro. Their REMAKE (instead of remix) has Rhodes feel to it.

pogurl Says:
March 20th, 2006 at 3:53 pm

ekere Says:
March 21st, 2006 at 7:35 am

OH MY GOSH!!!! Y’all needed to put a warning before this selection of music: do not play at work unless your office is soundproof with lockable doors. While I was at home dancing barefoot all over the room, I thought about those folks who may have put this on while they were at the office. Dagnabit, I danced harder for y’all! 🙂

And I heard the Nuyorican version first. I went out and bought the CD just to have that song. I thought that was the original. Then I heard the Minnie Riperton. Then I heard the 4Hero. And I love them all!! And you put them all here!! Lord, lemme get holda mahself. lol

one love,

Chris Defendorf Says:
April 9th, 2006 at 12:50 am

the 4hero remix is not as good as the other versions, in my opinion. Q-Tips is nice .

rhb Says:
January 14th, 2007 at 8:43 am

Nice Article – I did exactly the same and discoered the three tracks in reverse order. My fave changes depending on my mood, but they are all pretty special.

4hero Says:
February 4th, 2008 at 11:26 am

a good review we hadnt read yet…thanks for the support!

4hero cru.

jon Says:
May 6th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

i just discovered this track while listening to pandora this week. i too was introduced in reverse order, hearing the fantastic 4hero mix first, then finding the nuyorkan version on iTunes and simultaneously grabbing the rotary connection version.

The 4hero version does it for me. what a thing of beauty.

BB4S Says:
April 28th, 2010 at 2:14 am

Listen, I have been praising you guys since the early 90’s (and still today). Im nearly 40 now and I can still see the metalheadz signs going round on Tech 1210’s as I chopped up the fader to mix up my 2 Terminator tracks – Memories eh.

Keep up the good work guys – Bless

Robert Krasser Says:
December 14th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Since ages I would like to know what “I am the Black Gold of the Sun” means. Somebody has a clue?