A.R.C. CHOIR / “Walk With Me”

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 12th, 2006 at 12:58 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “A.R.C. CHOIR / “Walk With Me””

Berry Says:
March 12th, 2006 at 1:15 am

OMG, this is incredible. The one thing about the Kanye effect is that everything this boy touches does turn to gold … and even platinum. He has given new life and exposure to a new generation for the Shirley Bassey song and this one as well. He is just a mid-west version of Puffy and eventually he will run out publicity steam but in the meantime he is having fun. He is publicists dream and nightmare all rolled into one.

Nadir L. Bomani Says:
March 12th, 2006 at 6:17 am

i never liked jesus walks. i always thought it was over produced like a muh@#$%*!. in fact, ever since jesus.. alot of kanye’s production have been annoyingly over produced.

Then i heard the AMC ditty. That made me lose what little respect i never had for dude. Take out the uneven rap, and all that other carbon monoxide shit mtume described and you don’t have a hit single.

And this nigga got the nerve to rep Jesus Walks like he created a stevie wonder song or something…

where his mama at?

Mtume says:

Nadir, it’s actually worse than that. I didn’t want to get into it in the post because I wanted the post to focus on A.R.C.—listening to those former junkies tell their stories of redemption through music almost brought a tear to my eye. (OK fine, I was crying like a little girl. Sue me.) But check this out (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhymefest):

Rhymefest [a ‘childhood friend,’ it says] collaborated with West on the record "Jesus Walks," off the ground-breaking album The College Dropout. On February 15, 2005, Rhymefest earned the Grammy Award for Best Rap Song, along with West, for co-writing the song. Rhymefest had the initial idea for the song and discovered the sample used in the song, Arc Choir’s "Walk with Me." Rhymefest played the song for West and then gave it to him to use for the album West was working on at the time, The College Dropout. Fest didn’t have a record contract at that time and he knew that if West could produce it and become famous, he would be able to gain some notoriety from it as well. Fest co-wrote the chorus and first verse with West and even wrote and performed a third verse that did not make the final cut, but is performed on his mixtape, "A Star Is Born."

And look, before the nasty comments start coming in, I’m not trying to knock dude’s hustle. Do you what you do. Get it how you live. But don’t run around posing on crosses and wearing wings and shit when some of your best known stuff is essentially borrowed from someone who themselves borrowed it from someone. I can’t get Kanye’s line from "Last Call" out of my mind: "They heard ‘Jesus Walks’ and didn’t sign me." His tone is so incredulous when it says it too. Like, "I came up with something that fucking brilliant and original and the suits just couldn’t hear it." At the time, I was with him. But between the whole "All Falls Down"/"Mystery of Iniquity" thing and the "Diamonds"/Lupe Fiasco thing and now the "Jesus Walks"/"Walk With Me" situation, I really have to start thinking that dude is more of an opportunist than an artist. I mean, not to play ‘slippery slope,’ but what else don’t we know? Look, I love sampling. I love remakes. But too much of Kanye’s stuff walks that thin, thin line between homage and rip-off. One false step, and….

Qawi Says:
March 13th, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Man…He should’ve sampled the WHOLE THING. I mean, this song is much more powerful than anything that has been produced. Not only that, but considering what the choir represents, this song is SOUL STIRRING! Meaning they are singing it with their whole being, and suffice it to say, that “Jesus is walking with them.” They clearly weren’t trying to make a hit record, they were just asking for help from a Higher Power. You can’t get that from just the Hook.

Speaking of hook, I’m not a fan of Kanye, but I respect him for at least the quality of samples he picks. His lyrics are somewhat passe but he is a master of the Hook. And for a generation of short-attentioned spanned folks, that’s all that is needed.

Qawi Says:
March 13th, 2006 at 1:29 pm

One other thing about the HOOK…what makes this song appealing is the repetition. As Kalamu said in the first set, it creates a backdrop for the song. The lead vocals (or in Kanye’s case rap) is not necessarily the core of the SONG, yet it adds to it. Musicians can pick out the complexity of the arrangements behind it, but on a cerebral level the chanting, synchopation, and repetition is subliminal. Like the slave work songs of our ancestors or more currently like the melodic songs sung by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Something about the background singing just emotes a special kinship with the singers. Which is why I’m sure Kanye and Co. selected this sample. Basically, it spoke to them on a cerebral level.

Kiini Says:
March 15th, 2006 at 4:55 pm

wow, I’m blown away by the ARC Choir. This song “Walk With Me” is amazing. I have a friend who’s into finding samples and he played “Walk With Me” for me, but I was distracted or something. But listening to the song through headphones… wow.

So flicking amazing!

I know one thing, as soon as I get back to New York I need to hotfoot it up to Harlem and go to this church and be touched by this choir.

Editor B Says:
March 16th, 2006 at 10:31 am

Beautiful. “Dumbfounded” indeed — that’s my reaction too. Almost makes me wanna get religion. Thank you.

ekere Says:
March 17th, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Editor B, I feel you!!! I was thinking, “How can I sneak up in somebody’s church real quick??” 🙂 This music can convert somebody.

one love,
Ekere

Raymond Says:
May 12th, 2006 at 6:19 pm

My cut off that CD is Shady Green Pastures though…but the whole CD is pure explosive sounds