VAN HUNT / “Down Here In Hell (With You)” (Acoustic)

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 5th, 2006 at 3:24 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “VAN HUNT / “Down Here In Hell (With You)” (Acoustic)”

Brandon Says:
March 5th, 2006 at 5:36 am

To me, this is the most consistently funky set y’all have offerred. Not one beat was missed. I greatly appreciate Labi Siffre’s “I Got the.” Hearing that break made me go “Oh?” I like a lot of Hip Hop, but without reminders from musical historians, such as yourselves and close listening, many people, especially those younger than the classic songs will/might think the Hip Hop cut’s foundation is original. The Shuggie Otis reference regarding Van Hunt is on the money. I especially thought of that hearing “What Can I Say?” Low budget, big tone that makes you come back to it. Out of the Sky has one of the slamminest bass lines I’ve ever heard. And what is that break about at 3:53? Ooh. I ordered it online this morning. I shoulda had this the Summer of 1975, just back from my first year in college (yeah). Thanks for the Meters and Bill Withers, for sure. I’ll stay away from your comments on Macy Gray. I thoroughly enjoyed this. Thank you

Kiini Says:
March 8th, 2006 at 4:26 pm

o.k., that’s wwwaaaayyyy too much information baba…

at the risk of following in your footsteps, i’ll just say it has probably forever been the word on the street (since before streets were paved) that psycho sex (sex w/crazy people) is the best sex. fun, surprising, exciting, no boundaries.

but boy is it also the most expensive!!!!

i’ll halt my TMI right there.

i’ve never heard this remix of I’ve Committed Murder. there’s a bluesy, sort of “what choice did I have” feel to the original. This remix w/the rapping interchange between Mos and Macy is really frightening, like yo, would you want to be sleeping with that person?

Kiini Says:
March 8th, 2006 at 4:42 pm

Down Here in Hell sounds a LOT prettier than I imagined it would when I read the write up. I mean, it’s like a love song! Nice to hear people exploring a range of emotions… still mulling over this one and letting it sink in.

Kiini Says:
March 8th, 2006 at 4:58 pm

by the way, Mtume. What is a Gangstar remix?

A remix that Premier did and that the MC introduces… or does he have something to do with the remix? Am I blanking on his name (the MC) or is he referred to as Gangstar (I can see his face clear as day). No, Gangstar is the group, right?

Anyway what is the MC up to?

Mtume says:

Gang Starr is a duo, Kiini. Guru is the MC. Primo produced the track, Guru MC’ed. Result: Gang Starr remix. As for what he’s up to, Guru dropped a solo CD last year.

Kiini Says:
March 8th, 2006 at 5:10 pm

O.k., I’m sorry I’m blowing up BOL today. This is my first real stretch of time with all responsibilities quiet b/c they’ve gotten a minimum of attention that would keep them from deterring me from enjoying my own time.

but I want to say:

1. after listening to Down Here in Hell (With You) a few more times, I realize he is as psycho as his mate. Classic co-dependence. Need the drama to stay interested. And soap operas need the drama to keep the viewers interested.

2. Mtume, thanks for including the brief conversational monologue from Van Hunt. He is articulate and aware and he’s drawing obvious connections that would help a listner get where he’s coming from with his music.

Berry Says:
March 9th, 2006 at 12:36 am

I love down here in hell with you. Admitting his weaknesses is a rarity among a lot of men. To turn it into a pretty ballad when the lyrics are the definition of irony is creative license.

ekere Says:
March 10th, 2006 at 4:42 am

This Van Hunt is lovely, been on my mind since I heard it. Makes hell sound…sexy. But damn if I wanna go, I just dig the song. 🙂

Cyber-Baba, all that wet toe crazy stuff, I learned something new this week. lol

The music is really stunning this week.

Thanks for it.

one love,
Ekere

downparadise.co Says:
December 18th, 2014 at 4:44 am

I blog frequently and I truly appreciate your content.
This article has truly peaked my interest.
I’m going to bookmark your site and keep
checking for new details about once a week. I subscribed to your Feed
as well.