SARA TAVARES / “Guisa”

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 26th, 2006 at 10:53 pm and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “SARA TAVARES / “Guisa””

Qawi Says:
February 27th, 2006 at 10:16 am

Okay Kalamu…you might’ve resisted the urge to go on and on about Sara…but the jukebox selection says differently. Thanks for exposing me to a limited discographyof SARA TAVARES…as in 9 of the 14 songs in the jukebos are hers. 🙂

Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, for us folks she is a BOL in music. She is part Tracy Chapman, part Sade, part Alycia Keys, part Tina Marie…but still All SARA TAVARES. I’m saying that and I don’t even know Portuguese. I like all of the tracks that were selected. However, “Deus Ajude A Todos” and “Balance” are my favorites.

DJ Renegade Says:
February 27th, 2006 at 1:36 pm

Kalamu,
Nice article, glad to see some of my peeps get some shine. Aquick note on some of your translations. The portuguese word for ‘moon’ is Luna, not ‘Lua’, and ‘Mi Ma Bo’ is Kriolu and difficult to translate into English, but it does not mean ‘Me and You’, literally it would be ‘me but you’ and colloquially probably more like ‘me without you’ or ‘Me not you’.

DrBopper Says:
March 1st, 2006 at 9:24 pm

Hell! I don’t need to know Portugese (although I do know a little bit having gone to university in Providence, RI) I just need to get this sister’s CD ASAP. And Kalamu – I know what you’re feeling about this lady, she’s the spitting image of someone I once loved very, very much.

ejam Says:
March 3rd, 2006 at 11:29 am

hi there

thanx gawd ya wrote a article about sara
thanx

i have two albums of her

and i saw her live once
and live she is much better

i really recommend yall to check her out

thanx again

Siganguene Says:
March 16th, 2006 at 11:48 pm

Balance in nothing like Mi Ma Bo. It seems to be a bit more sincere and mellow. It was described as a cradling song for adults. It’s very personal and sincere. To some it might sound melancholic but it’s not. It’s celebratory and hopeful. Personally my favourite track is Dam Bo.

PS: Moon in Portuguese is “Lua” and not “Luna”. Luna is Spanish 😉 thought I’d add that.

Get the album!!!

Damian Says:
June 22nd, 2006 at 2:18 am

Best CD I’ve bought in years. Sara’s Balance is a gem. I went to the record store looking for an artist by the name "Kuku". And I came out with two CD’s. Balance and Kuku’s Unexpected Pleasures. both CDs are now my music of choice either at home, on the road or in the office.

Lendon Lewis Says:
May 14th, 2007 at 4:07 am

Just had to go out and buy ‘Balance’ after listening to the title track… What a wonderful earthy Sara has. I will now have to find all her past albums. I would also love a an English translation of the lyrics on balance.
I am in love with the voice!!

Liv Says:
June 13th, 2014 at 5:42 am

I need to disagree with one statement in your blog. “It’s immediately striking how much Sara sounds like Joy Denalane. ”

Just nje!