NANCY WILSON / “Ode To Billie Joe”

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 12th, 2006 at 6:09 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “NANCY WILSON / “Ode To Billie Joe””

Nick Says:
February 13th, 2006 at 8:02 pm

Love this cover. Grew up as a fan of the original, and with Diallo & Devaughn makes this my favourite BoL yet. I’m surprised at the old country/soul comments though. Bobby Womack’s album & James Brown’s cover of "Your Cheatin’ Heart" are the obvious sixties references, but even Ray Charles’ pop crossover has a certain soulfulness to it. Still, keep it up I’m a big fan. Oh, I can’t seem to upload the whole track, might be my dialup.

kalamu says

thanks for letting us know about the ending on the nancy wilson track. it is now fixed!

Qawi Says:
February 15th, 2006 at 11:35 am

Nice article. Gene Autry’s album cover almost makes him look like a light-skinned brother, LOL!

Assim Says:
February 15th, 2006 at 8:06 pm

I agree that Nancy has one of the purest voices ever. However, you have to listen to clarity and pristine quality of Ronnie Dyson, another highly underated and under exposed vocalist of another time and era.

Mahmud Says:
February 18th, 2006 at 3:48 pm

Totally agree with your comments about country music. When I first arrived in this country, I was dropped in the middle of Oklahoma and the only music I could listen to on the radio was country. The vocals were strong, I could make out the words, but more importantly, they told stories. Within two years I was out of there, up in Boston, and I survived my first winter listening to “If we make it through December” and “Joeleen.” Yes, I had to suffer through the reactionary crap, but country still held me. Then when I moved to Detroit, I started off with country and bluegrass (thanks to the Arkansas Traveler show), but quickly discovered the blues (live and on radio). The blues held me, but when I’m on the highway where there’s more country than anything else, I still return to it. Wasn’t Charlie Pride also from the Mississippi Delta?

Paul O'Brien Says:
January 13th, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Hi
I was wondering do you who played that wild ! saxaphone on the Ode to Billy Joe ballad ?

jazzfan360 Says:
November 28th, 2008 at 7:05 am

What a cool post! Any way to get those recordings?

kalamu sez:

direct links for the music are at the end of the article. click on the album titles highlighted in red.