LAURYN HILL / “The Passion”

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 29th, 2006 at 4:15 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “LAURYN HILL / “The Passion””

Ms. Berry Says:
January 29th, 2006 at 12:26 pm

I’m surprised no one mentioned the production quality of The Passion single. I’ve always had issues with it.

Qawi Says:
January 30th, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Lyrically it is a decent song. Not saying her best though…especially from a spiritual realm. And I kinda disagree with Mtume’s assumption that Lauren Hill is one of the most high profile artists to eschew the mainstream popularity for religious reasons. Anyway, Forgive Them Father from Miseducation was a pretty good lyrical piece with obvious spritual soul-searching. It is obvious why this song was overlooked…NO ONE associated it with the movie which is a good thing. However to market it under the banner of Passion, probably cancelled out any marketability also.

As for the production, it is simple yet not simplistic. It is hauntingly empty, which I thought was what she was going for in this song. True a Carlos Santana guitar treatment would’ve done wonders to this folksly song. But the song has meaning all on it’s own. Passion is from the gut, not from the mind, the studio, or from any contrived sound. And while it doesn’t have you bopping your heads in consciousness (like a Stevie Wonder tune would), look at it for what it is…ONE ARTIST’S EXPRESSION.

The only thing I didn’t like about the song was the lack of musical breaks to absorb all that passion and expression. In some parts it sounds a tad bit repetitive. But that’s okay.

Simone Grant Says:
February 3rd, 2006 at 2:10 pm

I’d like to call myself a Lauryn Hill…. From the Fugees to the MisEducation to the Unplugged… and I have never heard the song. This song stikes a cord… regardless of your views. While the production quality is a lil’ raw, I think that is the point. You’re just suppose to vibe to it and allow the words and rhythm to take you where you need to be mentally. I love it…. Rock on, Lauryn!

Zeena Bautista Says:
August 28th, 2006 at 11:40 pm

Since I’ve watched Lauryn Hill in Sister Act 2, I’ve fallen in love with her voice… It’s really good that she’s using her heart touching voice to God… and from what I’ve read above, I know and i believe that God is watching over and He’ll never let anyine or anything bad will happen to her… Lauryn Hill, you really touched my heart and soul… God Bless!

M Says:
August 14th, 2008 at 9:33 am

This post is so right on. Just the other day they were ridiculing her on the radio. People act like it is a confirmed medical fact that she is mentally ill, and even if that were true, what kind of human being are you to make fun out of someone else’s mental state? It is but for the grace of God that we are of sound mind, and if their state of enlightenment has not reached a level where they can comprehend her messages they need to fall back and say nothing at all.

Akua Says:
October 14th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Can I hear the song?

kalamu sez

the music is only available for the week that the article is posted. we do not archive music.