FUGEES / “Some Seek Stardom”

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 29th, 2006 at 4:11 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “FUGEES / “Some Seek Stardom””

Nadir L. Bomani Says:
January 29th, 2006 at 11:04 am

*”seen cooley high/cried when cochise died” the great Big Daddy Kane (who is easily in my lyrical top three) manifested those lines first on “Brother, Brother” on his 1991 “Prince of Darkness” release.

**Before the nappy heads remix, i don’t know about lauryn(because of her small parts in one of those soap operas and “sister act”, but the fugees were about to go into obscurity with failed acts such as, “the youngstas” and “original flava”

Observation:

I think the turning point in lauryn’s career(or recent stagnation), has less to do with spiritual searching, and more to do with reactions to bad business decisions. I loved lauryn (well lets say i had a huge crush on her), but the sister was wrong for not giving proper credit to vade nobles, and those other young producers who contributed to “miseducation”. I think lauryn’s image of being a righteous sister took a good right hook from the law suit that followed.

How could lauryn ice cube some producers?

That’s when the tracy chapman/bob marley experimentation manifested. There was never closure from the “she took all the credit” accusations and it almost seemed like lauryn was looking for a diversion,(kinda like mike jack getting with presley’s daughter after the first child molestation case). Now you got all this “essence article” bullshit about “finding myself” when all a muhfucker want is to hear L boggie spit some of that heat that has ensured her a permanent seat in every hip hop heads”top 10 lyricist’s list of all time.

Ms. Berry Says:
January 29th, 2006 at 12:17 pm

Thank you for the educational retrospective on the rise and stagnation of Lauryn Hill. Her very early work wasn’t part of my perspective but you two did an excellent job of helping me understand why she is held to cult status from the early Fugee days. Great job guys…off to read the rest. That Best of is about to be part of my collection. I didn’t even know it existed. It will be getting plenty of play and I will protect it like the jewel that it is.

toox Says:
January 29th, 2006 at 2:28 pm

…she had me when she wagged a finger at sucka mcs wanting to “be Al Capone, i’d rather be Nina Simone”… has there ever been a male in hip-hop with the courage to say that?

hardCore Says:
January 30th, 2006 at 3:08 pm

i love lauryn with the best of them..

but please, let’s not do the whole top ten emcee thing. a few hot verses hear and there don’t make you a top ten emcee, see method man.

until she has a solo hip hop album where’s she kills it rapping top to bottom, i can’t truly consider her top ten, no matter how dope she is. the only person i’ll give a pass on that one is andre 3000, because he’s spit so many dope verses on all those classic Kast albums.

DrBopper Says:
January 30th, 2006 at 9:08 pm

Nadir et al – Half of that “she took all of the credit” bullshit, and the subsequent lawsuit, was just that – BULLSHIT. The other half was, indeed, the outcome of bad decision making on Lauren’s part, and therefore her fauilt. No speculation involved – my wife worked on that disc with Lauren for several months and spent countless hours regaling me with tales about what she was bringing to the studio, and how all of the musicians involved collaborated with her in order to bring her nascent ideas to their fullest musical expression. Wifey, who has worked with “the late, greats” and the “current” and “rising”, said it was one of the greatest musical experiences of her life, working with Ms. Hill.

Believe me, a lot more folks could have tried to grab a piece of the golden manna brought down from above by that monster hit CD. The old hands that contributed to it, like my wife, didn’t get grabby because they knew how “the thing” worked and they got their rewards, beyond straight monetary recompense, in myriad other ways. The “new jack” lyricists/musicians/etc. that helped her clean up & tighten up the words/sounds/etc. in the studio would never have sought an additional penny if the “Miseducation Of…” had “Mis”fired and bombed. They were simply opportunists, in this circumstance, and they got over. Sister Lauren wrote the recipe had baked the cake – her collaborators just helped her with some of the ingredients and spread the icing – coming back after the fact looking to lick the bowl. It was her genius, from beginning to end, that produced that music.

Now as to the obverse side of the coin of responsibility for the ugly fallout(s) that came later, her problems and her failure – for which she is rightfully to be held responsible – came about as result of her listening to the wrong folks at the record label (and elsewhere – Wyclef???) giving her bad advice about how to deal with this issue. Yes, she should have done better by her people – the friends/fellow artists she solicited to help her put the music together, but a lot of the folks that I know who were there, and were intimately involved in helping to create this masterwork have said that she was betrayed by a lot those so-called friends, on both sides, for want of the filthy lucre involved. Mix that gumbo of avarice/jealousy/ betrayal/guilt/elation/pride/resentment/etc, up with a big helping of MarleyMadnessJerkSauce (Rohan-style) and no wonder the SugahBabygirlMochaQuennOfAllOurFeverishLateNightBlackLoveFantasies lost her mind/way/mojo for a wee little bit. But don’t you ever doubt that the L’Boogie won’t come back to us, the way we need her to…

BTW – My wife has a notable claim to fame regarding the “Miseducation Of…” CD. On the tune “Everything Is Everything” there is a fuzzed-out scratch sample leapfrogging the bass line and background beats. Only thing is, that ain’t no “scratch” sample. At least not one involving a needle on vinyl. Anybody got a guess???

DrBopper Says:
January 30th, 2006 at 9:13 pm

Jeez – next time – PROOFREAD!!!

Nadir L. Bomani Says:
January 31st, 2006 at 8:13 am

first:

hardCore, i hear ya on the “top ten” thing thang.
i normally use at least three ablums before i put a legit stamp on a mc’s lyrical prowess (that’s why it took me years before i gave it up to Nas). but lauryn has slayed so many lyrically on various guest appearances (as a mc). (see poor righteous teachers: “New World Order”) i can’t deny her skills.

second:

DrBopper,
your not the only one who share those sentiments about lauryen (being miseducated and all). I heard those whispers. I was on earth during those days.

I worked in several groups/bands/organizations (in several genres). i understand when success comes along credit tends to go to certain folk more than others. Ced Gee from the great ultramagnetic mc’s told me that he produced Boogie Down Productions: Criminal Minded. KRS 1 and the late Scott La Rock at least had the smarts to write on the back of the album “Special Thanks Ced Gee”.
Therefore, Ced is forever publicly associated with a certified classic album.

Produced, Written, Arranged and Performed by Lauryn Hill. That’s whats on the back of “miseducation”.

I assumed that meant you did a lot.

How great it must be to have the pass lauryn has sometimes. When she succeeds: it’s all her. When it’s questionable: we on some manchurian candidate shit.

Lauryn should have threw out a bigger bone to her folk, so their association could have sparked more business in the industry. In one of her many magazine interviews, when the album was selling in another stratosphereshe, Lauryn should have used your disclaimer.

DrBopper Says:
February 1st, 2006 at 10:06 pm

Nadir, can’t say much more than -“I hear ya & I feel ya.”

DrBopper Says:
February 1st, 2006 at 10:09 pm

BTW, that “scratch” was/is a violin.

ekere Says:
February 2nd, 2006 at 8:43 am

toox! Yes, “and while you imitating Al Capone I be Nina Simone,” one of my favorite Lauryn lines. Brilliance.

So many of us go through so many things. Haven’t most of us experienced loss and betrayal and bullshit? Some of our elders managed to survive the tumult of the sixties with their souls intact! But I guess without the proper support, without someone to help you heal, without someone to tap your shoulder and honestly say, “you are tripping,” you can get lost. If you don’t allow yourself to trust anyone you are bound to get lost too. The real battle is to remain open.

one love,
Ekere

And yeah, I think Lauryn can sing, I am deeply moved by her song, “Zion.” I think she has more heart in her throat than all those Billboard-pop music- half naked in their own video chicks put together, but I think Lauryn the MC is deadly.

alice b. Says:
February 2nd, 2006 at 10:56 pm

I think Pras’ real full name is Prazkarel Michel.