JORGE BEN / “Ponta De Lança Africano”

This entry was posted on Sunday, December 18th, 2005 at 1:22 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “JORGE BEN / “Ponta De Lança Africano””

kate Says:
December 18th, 2005 at 9:16 am

have had the cd for years-it remains a favorite. Intoxicating, great variety, and sensuous. Thanks for the reminder to pull this one out today!

Jesse Says:
December 18th, 2005 at 12:52 pm

Actually, one interesting thing about Tropicalia and the dictatorship was that Brazilian lefties were really mad at the musicians for not being more overtly political–they thought the music was too airy and metaphorical for what they wanted at the time. In retrospect, it could be seen as a “major weapon,” given that Veloso and Gil were grabbed out of bed and exiled in 1971, but it’s also interesting, I think, that committed politicos thought of this as too indirect.

Great site, by the way, serious and thoughtful and loving. I teach classes on US History and point students to this to help them think about how much music matters as history, culture, and art, since you guys do it so much better than I do.

autumn Says:
December 18th, 2005 at 2:14 pm

Great selections this week. If you like Jorge Ben, definitely check out his album A Tábua de Esmeralda – in my opinion some of his best work.

ekere Says:
December 18th, 2005 at 2:59 pm

Funny! I know this song too, but i didn’t know the title or what it was about. Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Denise Oliver-Velez Says:
December 16th, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Just a reminder that you’ve promised to do a Milton Nascimento week!

Let me also add the name of a young afro-Bahian woman into the mix – Virginia Rodrigues, a protege of Caetano Veloso, she sings lush versions of Candomblé orixa music. Check her out.

version Says:
September 25th, 2007 at 4:54 pm

I’ve got to say that I, too, thought the lyrics were about a slave rebellion leader from the 19th century, I thought Fio Maravilha was about parents telling their kids they were getting divorced, and I was shocked to find out both songs were about football. I, too, laughed at myself, and then thought about all the people I had made compilation tapes for, telling them what I thought the songs were about…by the time this cd was released in ’88 I had owned Africa-Brasil for years, and, well, on with the revolution…