THE DELLS / “Stay In My Corner”

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 27th, 2005 at 12:55 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “THE DELLS / “Stay In My Corner””

Big E Says:
November 27th, 2005 at 10:45 pm

Another song that got a career resurgence is Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me” which went to Number One in the mid to late 1980’s which was featured in a movie of the same title from director Rob Reiner “Meathead” from “All In the Family” fame.

Ms. Berry Says:
November 29th, 2005 at 1:15 am

yeah, this is my mama and dem’s music. Every Sunday this was blaring out after the gospels went off the air.

youngblood Says:
November 29th, 2005 at 12:53 pm

it was like this: when you was at one -a- dem ‘cold as hell outside/hot as hell inside” house parties, you had to stay inside the joint. no going outside to get some air. you had to scan the room and know who to dance with, who came to party. you had to dance some of them fast numbers just to keep it legit but most important of all – you had to be tight with dude who was playing the records. he would let you know when that six minute joint was up so that you could position yourself by the girl of your choice. you couldn’t be too obvious, you had to sorta mark time (timing is everything) like you was heading to the punch bowl or something and when the needle dropped you gently took the wrist of the girl of your desires(as if to say, “hey, wanna dance?” and hoped and prayed that she didn’t pull back too much. then you look for a spot in the middle of the dance floor or, preferrably a secluded corner. (good luck on that one) and the rest is up to you and, and…well, let’s just say it’s nice to be young, a’hem “gifted”, and Black. by the way, i stand accused by black moses, issac hayes – eleven minutes of blissfull brush burn. check you shirttail, kid.

michael Says:
December 12th, 2005 at 5:23 pm

I remember this well from1968 and occasionally since. But was it really six minutes 14 seconds long? How did they squeeze that on to one side of a 45? And did radio stations really play it all the way through? Maybe there was an edited-for-radio version

naw, this was when radio was radio

back in the late sixties/early seventies  they played the whole thing on the radio, six minutes and so many seconds. it wasn’t like it is now. hell, they played long isaac hayes cuts, you know like ten, twelve, fifteen-minute cuts. yeah, it was that long, and yeah they played the whole thing.

—Kalamu

michael Says:
December 23rd, 2005 at 8:06 pm

Sorry for being a bit pedantic but I’ve just found a three minute version. So I think some AM stations were playing that (it fades before the amazing sustained note) and some stations played the full-length album track. No contest when it comes to slow dancing.
I was searching through 1968 before getting back to you. In a great year for music, there’s another beautiful song I had quite forgotten and highly recommend: Fool For You by The Impressions.

Gregory Townes Says:
December 29th, 2005 at 2:27 pm

The main thing I remember about this song is the radio started playing it again during the fall of 1981. That was the time my wife and I finally got together (I kept chasing her until she caught me). I have always wondered if that sustained note was real or looped somehow. I can’t imagine anyone with that much lung power!!!

sharon minter Says: