TALIB KWELI & HI-TEK / “For Women”

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 29th, 2005 at 11:23 pm and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “TALIB KWELI & HI-TEK / “For Women””

Berry Says:
October 30th, 2005 at 6:13 pm

Although the original stands out in my opinion, Veir Frauen is a nice interpretation. The Talib rendition just doesn’t appeal to me.

DJKATA Says:
October 31st, 2005 at 5:50 am

One of my favourite tracks from my favourite albums. its a pity Kweli cant make songs like this anymore, but thats another discussion…

white silk Says:
October 31st, 2005 at 12:38 pm

Kweli’s joint stands far and away above the majority of hip-hop in that not only praises his elders (Nina Simone whom I often wonder isn’t Kweli’s favorite artist as he references her in many of his songs and/or uses samples of her work in much of his beats) but also in its depth of creativity. I have yet to find a hip hop artist (and I have listened to many over the past 25 years that hip hop truly became formidable) delve deep into the history of black people in this country quite like Talib does in his “cover” of Nina’s Four Women. It’s very hard to do when covering a classic song by a classic musician but I honestly think his version possibly surpassed the master herself! I get chills when that piano and viloin kick meet the drumbeat at the 0:44 second mark. Chilling lyrics, chilling stories, chilling track overall! As the final track on Kweli/Hi-Tek’s first album, this often is forgotten about and it needn’t be………..Kudos for bringing this song to more people’s attention!

Nadir Says:
October 31st, 2005 at 6:35 pm

Talib managed to enter that rare plateau of artistry: No matter what pigeon shit you drop on our listening heads later in life, you did THAT!

Rass Kass made “Nature of the threat” and we been takin’ our sunday’s best to the cleaners ever since.

Talib’s THAT is “for women”.

What makes this hidden track from the “train of thought” classic is it’s intent on recreating Nina’s class “four women” as a true fan.

You can tell dude really loves this song. And truthfully as an artist, Talib didn’t have to cover this song for any forseeable “hip hop” reason.

I love when cats think outside the coffin, especially mc’s.

i saw talib end his set at the house of blues with “for woman”, and he was obviously floored when people were rockin’ to that shit, singing along.

it was special…

viqifrench Says:
November 3rd, 2005 at 6:52 pm

have to say, my favorite cover (so far) of Four Women is nenna freelon’s. it’s so alive and vibrant and proud and unapologetic about who “the women” are.

somehow, talib’s version of this song got by me all these years; i was surprised to learn of it here. i’ll definitely check it out, as i do have two other talib cd’s in my collection. so i’m quite curious.

Suman Says:
November 4th, 2005 at 5:34 pm

I agree with you Nadir, Talib is in that rarefied group of artists. For me, his THAT was 2000 seasons..

naomi Says:
April 25th, 2006 at 11:31 am

talib kweli est vraiment un artiste super…

circa94 Says:
January 18th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Kweli’s version is phenomenal, and in my opinion the beat is up to par. I could understand how some people might not appreciate it as much, but it really gives it both emotion and hip hop flavor to me, the brief snips of horns and the low-filtered bass are trademarks in many older classic hip hop songs. Props to the author of this article, I just discovered this song not too long ago and now I’d say it is in my favorites of all time category. In this song, Kweli lives up to not just showing it how it is, but how it could be. He shows the high potential of hip hop to create something that is intellectually stimultating and emotionally potent.

kemp Says:
February 24th, 2014 at 5:19 am

Talib’s version is ambitious and he pulls it off extremely well. Few rappers can focus long enough to weave a tale this enthralling. He knows where he is heading to and gets there. Definitely one of my favorite songs ever.