NONA HENDRYX / “Transformation”

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 16th, 2005 at 2:11 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “NONA HENDRYX / “Transformation””

rylan gregory Says:
October 17th, 2005 at 1:51 am

That’s cool. I can dig it although this definitely pulled me out of my comfort zone.

To me, Les Nubians is contemporary. When I listened to this record – and I got to be honest here – I thought I was listening to a track produced in the early 80’s. We’re talking Herbie Hancock “Future Shock” with some of those sounds. Which begs the question, “What is ‘contemporary’?”

I personally think of ‘contemporary’ as ‘boundary pushing’ … the exploration of sonic territory in new ways (ie. Las Orishas).

Which reminds me of a second question I had after discovering your site… “What exactly is ‘black music’?”

For example, if someone is black and they make music are they immediatly making ‘black music’ – even if it sounds like Britany Spears? Or if someone is white and they play some deep, soulful, spiritual bizness (‘he who feels it knows it Lord’) are they making ‘black music’?

But then again, in this case, soulful singing is timeless and perhaps beyond color. And that’s where I can dig it.

Also cool to hear a reference to Mother’s Finest. Wyzard of Mother’s Finest is a friend from around the way here in Los Angeles, and while I love his bass playing and his general vibe I’m not really very familiar with the history of his band. I understand they have been holding it down for like 30 years or some such. He still heads off to Europe to tour… Would be cool to see a feature on them at some point. (or maybe its already in the archives?)

Anyways… so much to learn, so much to learn.

Thanks for making a cool introduction to nona hendryx and for moving me beyond my comfort zone (Bob, Damian Marley, Les Nubians, Jhelisa (who brought me to your site), Fertile Ground, The Roots, etc).

peace.

– rylan

Gary Says:
October 18th, 2005 at 9:06 am

Thank you for your beautiful site.

I’ve long admired Nona Hendryx for exactly the reasons you’ve set out. For instance, her work with Material still strikes me as an example of collaboration at its best — people who were all willing, and trying, to branch out and come up with something new, and who had the chops to do it.

renewick vincent Says:
November 9th, 2005 at 4:30 am

Nona,
Hello you have been a beautiful artist ever since the first time that I saw you with the group Labelle.One night I watched you on The Appollo Show that performance was the best show that I had seen on the Appollo show in years.Email me if you can.I love to look at your energy and your presence.
Fan 4 life,
Mustafaa Khalipha

Beverlee Browning Says:
November 10th, 2005 at 3:18 pm

I watched Nona Hendryx on the Patti LaBelle tribute. Her performance was electric. Why she hasn’t been more greatly appreciated as a performer is beyond me. I have always loved her. I thank you for letting her “true” fans know what this ageless artist has been up to.

Raymond Greene Says:
November 27th, 2005 at 8:01 pm

I saw the Patti LaBelle tribute and I could help noticing that Nona Hendryx looked surperb. At 61 yrs old she has a body of a 20 something. I am sure she must have had a make over. Her breast are much smaller than I recall them being, her face was tight and everything seem so much in place. Is what I am saying true?

jsummerhil Says:
January 2nd, 2006 at 4:46 am

I love Nona Hendryx from the first time I laid eyes on her with the group LABELLE. I have always love her style and voice. She is the best female singer of all time.

lissa and chelle ceasar Says:
March 17th, 2008 at 11:42 am

Nona Hendryx is our NANA and im soooooo glad to see that she has alot of true fans. she shud be more appreiciated in the industry. she is a fantastic songwriter and artist. she has many talents. this means so much to us.