JERRY BUTLER / “For Your Precious Love”

This entry was posted on Sunday, September 4th, 2005 at 12:01 am and is filed under Classic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “JERRY BUTLER / “For Your Precious Love””

Scholar Says:
September 4th, 2005 at 11:16 pm

Just wanted to commend you for posting Jerry Butler, as I have a great love for his music. The quality of the selections you’ve offered so far is unparalleled by the vast majority of other mp3 blogs. I hope that you are planning to continue doing this for quite some time…your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I am very sorry about what is happening to your city right now. It is so sad as to be unspeakable. I can’t begin to imagine what you (and others) are going through, nor can I find words that would be comforting in light of something so tragic. All that I know to do is wish you peace and wellness….Scholar

Mardis Says:
September 7th, 2005 at 12:05 am

I’m new to the post so… well, let it be what it will be.

Thanks for the Jerry Butler. As a child it was Jerry that my mother chose as her single musical vice on the turntable while the rest of us, my dad included, watched Saturday Night Wrestling, Roller Derby and The Great Hercules. Were it not for a bathroom break I would never have discovered her joy and love for the soulful, drowning depths of Brother Butler’s smooth and proper wail. As well, I would never have known to seek that same response from my own jaunts at writing poetry and little songs.

Jerry Butler was my intro into what is clearly a delicate cajole. My mother stroked her hair at the intro to this very song, then wiped her eyes twice before he finished the second line. By the time he reached …”but darling I failed to realize…” she was in full out repose. I, from that first saturday night occurrence, was on the other side of the door taking in the eloquence of the voice and the beat…the essence of the woo, if you will. It was also a time when the idea of song as ethos began to take hold. It was also a time when everlasting love drafted my young heart into its pitiful ranks.

This selection and the latter-year version, both beg the heart toward first love. “Love wider, deeper than any sea” is a line that yearns from the heart eternally. In youth you can’t imagine any other love. In the years that include marriage and the faltering love of that era, eternal first love is a reimagined bloom in the depth of nights when the back-to-back distance is paining you toward divorce as a real option to not having the hope of even empassioned kisses for another stretch of nights.

Jerry’s seasoning is finally as much in the lyric as in the interpretation and stylizations. Call it gravel or passion or any other selection, but the worth of it lays completely in the willingness to give it up again through the years. Reimagine. Remake. Regurgitate. All are worthy of the vinyl or whatever they make CD’s from. Hey, like the poet knows, just tell the folks that it is possible to know again what you knew was possible between two people…even if one was merely sitting astride the decisions of a life on a saturday night imagining the wealth of passion as it is played out through the combing of wails and laughter in a shotgun house with a pillow pressed against the breast until the music fades into tiny thunders of applause and the needle resets.

Anonymous Says:
November 29th, 2005 at 2:10 pm

notes to your precious love

Jason Caruana Says:
February 1st, 2007 at 2:28 pm

I absolutely love everything you’ve ever done!!!!! god bless

walter goulet Says:
September 3rd, 2008 at 3:12 pm

This song,( for your precious love) is so beautifully
sung by Jerry Butler . Just emencely so beautiful.
He is the best!

nick Says:
September 5th, 2008 at 3:24 pm

hi does anyone know hat studio this song was recorded in originally, and is the original the one where the main vocal is panned all the way over to the right? I know its a bit odd but I really need the information

EDDIE THOMAS Says:
April 26th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

THIS SONG WAS RECORDED AT UNIVERSAL RECORDING STUDIO-CHICAGO IL. LOCATED AT RUSH & WALTON ST.

EDDIE THOMAS Says:
April 26th, 2009 at 7:11 pm

FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE WAS WRITTEN BY 1.ARTHUR BROOKS – RICHARD BROOKS AND JERRY BUTLER. YOU CAN CHECK BMI THESE ARE THE FACTS.

Lilly Says:
April 11th, 2011 at 6:58 pm

THX that’s a great asnewr!

Patti Says:
April 26th, 2011 at 6:22 am

I’ve loved For Your Precious love from the first note the first moment I heard it. It was an “our song” with my first love. One time I recorded it over & over & had a whole cassette full of just this song. Jerry Butler was never better, tho always good.

Paul Says:
July 22nd, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Jerry is so-o-o smooth in “Your precious Love” but his vocals are accentuated in such a fantastic way by the backup singers singing from heaven; who are they? Is Thelma Houston one of them? I would not doubt it…