This entry was posted on Sunday, July 24th, 2005 at 12:02 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “AMBERSUNSHOWER / “Running Song””

mistacee Says:
July 24th, 2005 at 5:40 am

I thought I was the only person who had this album – I guess there is 2 of us. She was signed to Tommy Boy earlier and had a group called Groove Garden who were pretty damn nice in their time.

As for the Teacha (KRS to those that dont know) he isnt the GOAT for nothing 😉

PM Dawn i cant comment on my Mother may be reading..

And Loose Ends? I’m a London boy, thats a anthem for us.

Mtume says:

‘GOAT’ means ‘Greatest Of All Time.’

rx scabin Says:
July 24th, 2005 at 10:36 am

Not writing to discuss, just writing to say how much I appreciate the site. I don’t have anything else to say (right now) that can add to what you say. A gem.

Tony Harris Says:
July 26th, 2005 at 12:21 pm

So exciting to hear about Ambersunshower again! I discovered this album in the cut out bins back in ’97 and bought a bunch of copies to give to my friends! The whole album is solid, especially “Walter T.” and “Serengetti Plains”.

Keep the sweet stuff coming!

Kiini Ibura Says:
July 26th, 2005 at 3:21 pm

tume, you said nothing about why you liked the song…

you said you like songs with the word song in the title.

you said her voice was capable of weirdness and we got it with an inexplicable german military march

and you said the song is based on a sample from loose ends…

any words about her lyrics? none (well lyrics for another song you didn’t choose).

any words about her voice itself? none

any words about how the theme of the song fits with the music? none

any words about why pop should sound like this or what’s valuable about this sound vs. what we’re listening to on the radio now? none

any words about why her album didn’t touch nobody and is being sold for pennies? none.

you need an editor.

Mtume says:

OK. The first thing I want to say is, emoticon.  And I mean it.

All jokes aside, allow me to retort…uh, explain. If you read Castro’s post (see below), he got what I was trying (ineffectually, I guess) to say.

I didn’t write one of my usual long-winded essays about Amber’s album because I’m not really a fan of the album. I just happen to like "Running Song" and "Look Around My Window" for no good reason other than they’re kinda weird and catchy and no one seems to know who Amber is. For some reason, it thrills me to find songs actually worth listening to on a CD which can be purchased for little more than the cost of a blank CD.

"You need an editor." Wow.

Castro (Jason) Says:
July 26th, 2005 at 6:52 pm

HA HA! Mtume, I’m over here cracking up…this album was one of those bait and switch jobs..this was the time when Erykah Badu had just popped up and labels were trying to figure out what ‘bohos’ liked…I remember going to Amoeba records in Berkeley with my homegirl, and she was goo-goo over Ambersunshower because of the first single…and I was a skeptic. That fateful day, she purchased Amber’s record, and two days later, she cussin me out for not talking her out of buying the record. Too many filler tracks..but at that point, if you were a Black girl with a headwrap, Ankh necklace and a demo tape, you were getting signed! LOL!

Ekere Says:
July 27th, 2005 at 7:06 am

I have to giggle at this. I interviewed Ambersunshower way back in the day when this album was being released. I think I published the piece in YSB (how old am I??!!) I didn’t like the album much but it was better than what I could feel what coming around the corner in terms of music. The sister was also cool and interesting. That’s all for now.

jamyla Says:
October 16th, 2005 at 6:32 pm

why am i all after the fact discovering this website and it’s fierceness? sigh. well, at least i already knew about ambersunshower, ha ha! running song, and also… dangit i can’t access that part of my brain right now but there were a couple of other songs on the album that i really enjoyed. lots of filler, yes, but i thought she had a few really good moments. maybe she should’ve been dropped as dance singles?

KRS Says:
November 20th, 2005 at 3:22 pm

korie220 Says:
November 22nd, 2005 at 8:34 pm

the pm dawn championed sentiment by krs – obviously a hoax