KELIS / “Young, Fresh N’ New”

This entry was posted on Sunday, July 3rd, 2005 at 12:02 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Responses to “KELIS / “Young, Fresh N’ New””

Anonymous Says:
July 4th, 2005 at 2:00 pm

soulsides is correct, your layout is nice. BUT your audio is clipping all over the place. You gotta normalize that before you compress to MP3 or you destroy the peak values. Try dropping the RMS peak value to about 80% of the original. that’s usually pretty safe.

Kalamu says:

i assume you mean the kelis track specifically and not all the tracks in general. (if you do mean all the tracks, please hit me back with an email and let me know. i don’t hear any clipping on the others, but i’ve got old ears and am always subject to correction.)

your tip about eq-ing is right on and we will keep that in mind.

thanks much for your comment. it is extremely helpful to us to know about anything that does not measure up.

and by the way, what did you think of the track and our discussion of said track?

ekere Says:
July 8th, 2005 at 8:27 am

This is the type of vibing that I do with my friends about music and it is wonderful to see some of our thoughts articulated on this site. This site is special because it is putting our music in a context, the context of who we are and who we were and who we could be. I talk to my students– most of them are teenagers– about music often, and I have listened to my Dad talk about the Civil Rights Movement for a good thrity years, he is in his late seventies. I have also seen how our music and videos dictate what peope all over the world think of us. So I listen to music with one ear in the past and another in the future and I look at videos with the same eyes. This means that I have taken to turning off most videos and songs before the choruses can even get into full swing. (yes, Kelis too) Since I started teaching teens more though, I have made it my business to sit through things because I do want/need to know what they are taking in so we can talk about it. Working with students pulls me into the present, but I share my old/young eyes with them and they share theirs with me and it makes for interesting dialogues… dialougues like the one above which is somehow still about Kelis.
Aight, peace!

shieema Says:
December 3rd, 2005 at 1:59 am

kelis you are a wonderful person inside out hi my name is shieema, i think the CD wanderland is hot every song on it is wonderful i look up to you as a role model thank you so much love you..

Jesse Says:
December 4th, 2005 at 2:58 pm

Kelis is The Best!!!

newyorkma Says:
December 5th, 2005 at 1:59 pm

I think Kelis is doing her thing more power to her !!! PEOPLE ALWAYS TRYNING TO KNOCK YA KEEP DOING WHAT YA DOING ALWAYS YOUNG HUSTER!! 1

Matthew Fallabel Says:
February 20th, 2006 at 9:35 pm

Kelis, you are innovative and always original. You are amazing and your CD’s just keep getting better and better. I love you and your sound, keep up the amazing work!

laeticia manzeke Says:
March 5th, 2006 at 9:22 am

he kelis like you to be my friend i like you so much kelis you amazing girl ilove you and your sond keep up the amazing work i ‘m from london

Artur Says:
April 16th, 2006 at 6:29 am

Wielki RESPECT jesteś świetna

Jesse Says:
May 28th, 2006 at 11:00 pm

Sup my name is Jesse & iv’e been a faithful fan of Kelis since I heard her on O.D.B.’s Got your Money,& up to this day I still am & will continiue to be a faithful fan.Girl ur da best,so beautiful,& wit a voice better than angels.Keep on wit da good work cause’ this is a fan that will always be wit u girl.Waitin’ for “Kelis Was Here” to drop.Love U Girl.

Anthony aka "80" Says:
June 30th, 2006 at 11:30 pm

I’m from the West Coast and I’ll say Kelis is the sexiest girl. Keep doin’ ya thang baby!!!!

STACY Says:
July 13th, 2006 at 11:40 pm

I HATE TO SAY IT I LOVE KELIS BUT SHE ISN’T GOING TO REPLY BACK TO US

Crystal Hanton Says:
March 19th, 2007 at 5:59 pm

I LOVE Kelis hair and she is beautiful!!! She reminds me of Aaliyah, an angel.

Ebony Says:
April 3rd, 2007 at 9:58 am

Why are you hating? Is your life that wack that you can’t focus on you? Is it that you actually feel bad for you? Do you not like what you see in the mirror? Is your life pathetic? Kelis has a life and she’s not doing post on how you should live yours, maybe you should try to be like her and do something constructive.

K. Says:
September 6th, 2008 at 3:36 am

My opinion on her is also a bit split. Actually, I even know a good song of hers, Get along with you:
One could even show the video to a child.

On the other hand, in view of everything else I have seen and heard of her so far, I also wonder why she is doing what she is doing. She does not have to, she has the talent and looks to be a positive star. But so far she is simply embarrassing.

She reminds me of Madonna, I never understood why people like that are so obsessed with sexuality and obscene behavior. What’s so bad about being a decent girl / woman? I don’t think an artist should produce and display anything that would be inappropriate for a child to see.

To all those people here applauding her, turn to Jill Scott instead before it’s too late 😀

Maybe she will grow up, I read she is married now. If only her husband were not a rapper…

Amanda Says:
December 28th, 2008 at 10:54 pm

I for one, love Kelis.
There’s no need to obsess with what she represents or how young people will perceive her. At the end of the day, she’s representing herself and it’s up to the youth to respond whatever way they feel fit, There’s nothing wrong with her ass shaking/ “provocative” behaviour (whatever you want to call it). People need to realise that perception is everything.
Take it for what it is. Soem people will like it, some people won’t.
All her videos enhance her songs – her music is dope. Keep it up Kelis, do your thing & don’t give a f**k about what people say. Like she said in the interview “no regrets”. Live your life & do what feels right for you. I think everyone would benefit from taking her lead. Peace.

Kanyin Says:
February 1st, 2009 at 2:03 pm

What you are asking of Kelis is to conform to the molds of a “decent” woman. Everywoman feels differently, and I believe that at some point, most women want to feel liberated, but when they cant, they choose to make others conform to what they currently are. Kelis has a lot of songs that reflect what she feels. Her first album Kaleidoscope, was “dope”, she sang about love, being left heartbroken, and other things. Cos she has a different approach to things do not make her discontent or unhappy and whatever else has been used to label her. I for instance am usually mellow but there are those 30 days during the year when I’m at an all time high or low when I cut my hair off or dye my hair different colors. And I dont think Kelis is doing this to be a sex symbol or to boost her earnings. If she wanted to, she would sing more songs that conform to society expectations like Beyonce – I do love Beyonce, but you have to agree her songs are solely geared for high earnings not necessarily how she feels. Just my two cents. Kaleidoscope is still Kelis’ best album. Seriously the album has many songs about relationships and the problems that come with, and a lot of young girls who have been dumped can feel where she is coming from… By the way Amanda you rock!

pjkane Says:
March 13th, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I think out of alot of singers nowadays, Kelis is a rarity. Her sound is quite unique compared to alot of the ‘pop’ of the moment.

Kelis ,i believe,stands for liberation! She is a free thinker and if you properly listen to the lyricsfrom her albums she comments on the state of society and herself. I dont think she should be used as an example for your dissatisfaction with the state of the world in reference to music! What about Lil’ Star and the lyrics “Just keep tryin'”-it is such a lovely positive song and idea. What about “Millionaire”…i feel it’s about just simply enjoying the richness of having friends…the video is lovely.

Milkshake is just a catchy kinky tune and doesn’t take itself seriously. Life as far as we know is impermanent. Joy is the best feeling and so many people need it. If Kelis makes you move, giggle, wiggle………do like Noel Cowardand ‘misbehave!’ Life shouldn’t be spent being so serious.