ZAP MAMA / “Bandy, Bandy”

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 19th, 2005 at 12:02 am and is filed under Contemporary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

14 Responses to “ZAP MAMA / “Bandy, Bandy””

Jarvis Says:
June 21st, 2005 at 12:13 pm

Kalamu/Mtume,

I’m feeling your comments about Zap Mama. Bandy Bandy is hip. I’ve got the CD — well, I’ve got the digital info from the CD thanks to iTunes — but at the moment, I can’t think of anything other than Bandy Bandy that really rocked me.

I also agree with you on Erykah’s experimentation. Years ago I was sitting next to Steve Jones, music writer for USA Today. He was telling me that he was watching Erykah for the 5th time and he had never seen her do the same show twice. In fact, when we were watching her “Mama’s Gun” had come out and she did her show without relying on the safety of the hits from “Baduizm.” Risky. But when she climbed down off the stage and joined the audience and had ’em all saying ” ‘Cuz I’m alright with me / Said I’m alright with me” it was clear to everybody that she had won the crowd over nonetheless.

The next time didn’t go over so well. 2003. She came out on stage and played songs nobody had ever heard before. Granted, my friend Colette and I were jamming because we appreciated hearing something fresh. But folks wanted to hear Tyrone. They also wanted to hear Stevie — who was following her. “Don’t do this to Stevie,” she said to the nonresponsive crowd as she left the stage.

Okay, this was supposed to be about Zap Mama. Sorry. I’ll listen to it again and compare the Erykah-less moments against those where she appears. – JQD

Jarvis Says:
June 21st, 2005 at 12:14 pm

By the way, the two shows I reference were Essence Music Festivals. Sorry for the ommission. – JQD

Lisa Says:
June 21st, 2005 at 6:40 pm

I just checked out Breath of Life and read your Zap Mama/Badu piece which is great. I adore them both, and agree with you that Zap Mama’s albums rarely make it all the way. But when I saw them live in New York for the first time, I was in tears the entire time, as all of the voices were so exquisite. The second time was when they opened for Badu at the Hollywood Bowl in LA, and neither set was good, I was disappointed. This was three or so years ago. Anyway, I’ll tell all my record biz friends about this site. It’s beautifully designed as well.

ekere Says:
June 23rd, 2005 at 8:49 am

Ok, once again I am really feeling this dialogue. Like Mtume, I didn’t wake up on Bandy, Bandy until Ms. Badu started singing/sanging. She pushed this song to the head nodding, press repeat level for me.

I saw Zap Mama once, actually hosted a show that they headined, and I too was disappointed.
Oh well.

* * * Mtume says: You’ve got us backwards, Ekere. Kalamu is the Badu fanatic. 😉 I like “Bandy Bandy” from first note to last. And, the one time I saw Zap Mama (at HOB N.O. in support of their 1997 album “7”), the show was fantastic. * * *

thein Says:
June 23rd, 2005 at 6:12 pm

haven’t heard the whole album but…. You forgot to mention “yelling away.” That’s definitely one of the tighter songs on the album.

* * * Mtume says: I agree. Don’t care much for Kweli’s rap on “Yelling Away,” but the song itself is nice. * * *

P6 Says:
June 24th, 2005 at 9:39 am

Excellent. You just sold a Zap Mama album.

ekere Says:
June 24th, 2005 at 9:40 am

oh, true!! My bad :). Yes, The Cyber Baba and I are in full agreement that Mz Badu is the one who brings the lemons to this kool-aid.

j. Says:
June 24th, 2005 at 2:56 pm

“bandy bandy” is probably one of my favorite songs…and this just became one of my favorite music sites.

Lisa Marie Says:
July 22nd, 2005 at 5:14 pm

Its never about just one song on an album for Zap Mama. While Bandy/Bandy is certainly one of the one’s that got most of the airplay – its definately not my favorite on the album. One of the best things about Zap Mama is their ability to step into almost every genre of music and do that shit WELL. Caribbean, African, Latin, Ragga, Hiphop stlyess area all represented here. Her live shows are ridiculous! I’m a fan however of her writing and improvisational abilites! The album is really a great representation of all of these.

Flame Says:
January 20th, 2006 at 1:29 am

OK.. Late to the discussion but I could not let it pass… I love Erykah and I love Marie on this…
Did anyone else get out of their western-american centric trip enough to LISTEN to it… No no… really think about it – Erykah Badu’s sound is always moving towards the sort of improv that is Zap Mama’s cultural heritage… I am talking about those of us in the diaspora wishing we had a mama who could teach us how to travel out in sound – and YET making sound according to our corner of the diaspora….
If y’all saw it as something to compare and not to celebrate as a woman from the continent meeting a woman from the diapora and linking it up in a ‘ pleased to meet you sister-in-song’ …well!

Flame… a woman from the Caribbean… enjoying the hook up…

noelli bandy Says:
August 19th, 2006 at 1:41 am

Since BandyBandy shakes it so nice, and since it is my last name, I am looking for it’s origin…
Zap Mama, you make my name ring so good. what does the word bandy mean? anyone?…

noelli bandy Says:
August 19th, 2006 at 1:52 am

bandy bandy: snake

ATLien Says:
August 27th, 2006 at 11:37 pm

I would like to hear anyones opinion on what the y feel the message in this song is…anyone?
Ciao!

MJ Says:
February 26th, 2008 at 8:47 pm

bandy
ban·dy (băn’dē)

tr.v., -died, -dy·ing, -dies.

To toss or throw back and forth.
To hit (a ball, for example) back and forth.

To give and receive (words, for example); exchange: The old friends bandied compliments when they met.
To discuss in a casual or frivolous manner: bandy an idea about.
adj.

verb

To give and receive: exchange, interchange. See give/take/reciprocity.
To speak together and exchange ideas and opinions about. discuss, moot, talk over, thrash out (or over), thresh out (or over), toss around. Informal hash (over), kick around, knock about (or around). Slang rap. Idioms: go into a huddle. See words.