ISAAC HAYES / “Fragile”

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 19th, 2005 at 12:03 am and is filed under Cover. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

14 Responses to “ISAAC HAYES / “Fragile””

Angeli Rasbury Says:
June 21st, 2005 at 1:51 pm

Brothers Kalamu and Mtume:

what can i say
i’ll converse with you every day
listening to black music always reminds me
of the special talents and strengths of our people

i was brought to tears listening to fragile suite

too much going on and not going on right now

Rudy Says:
June 21st, 2005 at 3:33 pm

For me, part 1 and part 2 could have been left out, especially part 1, which I found annoying.

But what happened to the extra cuts in the jukebox, like the Gayes (Marvin and Nona). I thought those extras were quite wonderful, and then you cut them. What’s up? — Rudy

* * * Mtume says: We will repost the other tracks you saw/heard in future weeks. We were actually in a beta test when you saw them. We’ll be posting a new set of tracks and writeups each Sunday night. * * *

saddi khali Says:
June 21st, 2005 at 8:44 pm

u both r brilliant 4 this. the insight & information on top of the music is almost too much, its so good. there is so much music that us CD crackheads in rehab no longer find access 2. breath of life is is here 2 give us our fix. thank u. now we can all get hiiiigh, 2gether.

Stephanie Renee Says:
June 22nd, 2005 at 9:07 am

I love this version, but I’m curious…

who recorded this first: Ike or Sting? I had never heard this version until now, but I own Sting’s English and Portuguese versions of this song.

Love both artists, just want to know who’s came first or if they both covered the song. I need to go read my liner notes! 🙂

* * * Mtume says: “Fragile” was written by Sting. It first appeared on Sting’s 1987 album, Nothing Like The Sun. Ike’s version is from his 1995 album, Branded. * * *

adia Says:
June 22nd, 2005 at 11:04 am

Sting’s fragile has been covered by so many, and offered by Sting himself in so many different presentations. I love Sting; I’ve been enamored with virtually every cover I’ve heard of Fragile. A friend and I were just discussing how old school (think Temptations Papa Was a Rolling Stone) had the longest meatiest introductions, this song made my toes curl. I’ve never heard it sound this lush, infused with brown and black sunlight–it is wonderful! Thank you Kalamu and Mtume, I’d have never been enriched like this if you hadn’t birthed this awesome opportunity to share.

Castro (Jason) Says:
June 22nd, 2005 at 11:07 am

Thanks for this track- I’ve always liked how Isaac Hayes went about telling stories in his work… my Father had a copy of Hot Buttered Soul and I think I played ‘I Stand Accused’ a couple of hundred times when I was young….

rashad(elevatormusic) Says:
June 23rd, 2005 at 1:27 am

Wow, love the intro after the heartbeat, when the piano starts, i think its “part 2 “….just exactly what i needed to hear. Always been a sucker for warm chord changes…i’m surprised i never heard sting’s version (not a huge sting fan) N-E way. The music is beautiful in the intro. Could’ve left out part 3 and 4….until the end when that groove creeps back again……..superb..great job guys!!!! keep it up

Noura Says:
June 23rd, 2005 at 6:43 pm

Formidable presentation. Reading the comments is an education in itself.

Qawi Says:
December 28th, 2005 at 1:05 pm

Just catching up with the legacy of this site. I had no idea it was started this year. Kalumu and Mtume, GOOD JOB!

Anyways, I bought Branded when I was in a retrofied state, that is not wanting to listen to the R&B music of ’95. I was surprised by Ike’s treatment of this song. I mean, he covered (more like CONVERTED) many songs before, but this one has such a deep, almost spiritual groove to it, that Sting should consider covering Ike’s version. Although the spirit and lyrics behind it are truly Sting, Ike takes it to another level. A level that many who didn’t or don’t listen to Sting can appreciate. Branded had many other good cuts as well, and was a refreshing edition to my 1995 catalog of music.

Christopher Mercadel Says:
July 13th, 2006 at 1:45 am

I have been searching for over 10 years about anything from SoulBowl 70 which I attended. I am curious to know if any of it was recorded live and saved. If anyone have any information please contact me.

Mina Slappery Says:
March 4th, 2007 at 2:51 am

I hope somewhere, somehow, the song Fragile written and sung by Sting and Also Isaac……….descibes the 911 terror attack and it was written before it happened. Sting realized this after the fact that he had written a prophecy right down to the flesh and steel being one and the rain the next day. Peace

January 13th, 2008 at 6:03 am

Ike is a king. Its his natural sound that grabs you and the way he uses colours that makes it easy for the listner to travell with him, imagery. The full ochestra and the ground holding band complimant each other. He simply made this one his own, how fragile we are.

Michael Says:
November 1st, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I was at that concert also, I was about 10. Rare Earth, ELO, Ike and Tina and I think James Brown. I will never forget it. My parents still have pictures of that concert.

Kenneth Alix Says:
January 29th, 2015 at 10:24 pm

I was there at Soul Bowl 70′ with two of my friends Doris and Patricia Coleman, my next door neighbors we in that concert . Very young kids ages of 12 To 14 who like good soul music and wanted to see all the stars there . If anyone has the videos I would like to see them or any pictures of the show .